St. Stephan's Cathedral, French Heritage monument to Cahors
Almost nothing is known of the earlier Romanesque cathedral buildings. After the reform of the chapter in 1090 by the Bishop Géraud, the construction of the new Cathedral and canonical buildings is being undertaken at the beginning of the 12th century: the high altar and the altar of the Holy Shroud are dedicated by Pope Callixtus II in 1119 and the bulk of the work is completed with the North in the 1140s Portal. The renovation of the Cathedral, considered as early as 1255 when the Pope conceded to this end a bubble of indulgence, would be committed to the bedside in 1285. through the establishment of a first right of annates by Bishop Raymond de Cornil whose tomb is prepared in a North Chapel in 1293. Work continues with the development of three other chapels, the construction of the Western massif between 1308 and 1316, the rehabilitation complete roof and execution of a broad program of murals inside which ends between 1316 and 1324 the transformation of the building
* one can make the assumption that Pierre Deschamps intervened on the site. La chapelle Saint-Martin, current sacristy was rebuilt between 1328 and 1337. The renewal following the war of hundred years translates into construction decided by Bishop Antoine of Alamand, on the location of the southern apsidal Chapel, a chapel dedicated to the Immaculate Virgin, called 'deep Chapel', consecrated in 1484, and then for the grand Archdeacon Louis de Theiss of a new chapel erected between the apses is North and in 1491. A building with a fireplace bears the arms of the chapter, is added to the East of la chapelle Saint-Martin may be at the end of the 15th century. The Romanesque Chapter House is replaced by a chapel dedicated to the Holy Spirit (current chapelle Saint Gausbert) between 1497 and 1502 for the Canon Auriolle Antoine. The galleries of the cloister were completely rebuilt from the end of the 15th century and throughout the first half du16e century and bear the arms of the Canon Antoine Auriolle and bishops Antoine de Lusech (1502-1509), Alois de Caretto (1514-1524) and Paul de Caretto (1524-1553). Except a few interiors, the three centuries that followed do important work. A new campaign of renovation and restoration, started in the 1850s with the rehabilitation of the apsidal chapels under the leadership of Paul Abadie then Diocesan architect of Cahors. Between 1870 and 1875, the Liturgical Choir is rebuilt by Bishop Grimardias in neo-Gothic style while undertaking the release of domes. The north portal, walled in 1732 and rediscovered in 1840, is restored between 1908 and 1913.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
(St. Stephan's Cathedral, cahors)
St. Stephan's Cathedral, Almost nothing is known of the earlier Romanesque cathedral buildings. After the reform of the chapter in 1090 by the Bishop Géraud, the construction of the (...) St. Stephan's Cathedral, French Heritage monument to Cahors cahors, lot
Men involved in this construction
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
cathédrale Saint-Etienne, cahors
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.