The Cathedral is built in so-called limestone stone stone Faloise and Savonnières. Its plan is cruciform. Nave of nine bays with central ship and collateral simple, without side chapel. Central span of the west facade pierced with a rose and completed by an arched pediment, Windows-style Renaissance. Nave and aisles very openwork by three levels of arrays of radiating style. The great arcades are based on cylindrical columns. Romanesque crypt half-buried under the choir. Wall of the aisles adorned with blind arches. Two levels of flying buttresses, supported against pinnacles topped abutments. The portal of the North arm of the transept is housed under a porch, with a gable. Apse supported by buttresses except at the level of the towers where the flying buttresses. The North Tower is composed of four levels of bays gemelled at two levels. Vault of the choir of complex type decorated by a large rose window. Other ogival vaults. The crypt is vaulted Ridge in part Romanesque and cradle in the modern part. Nave covered with a roof long half-timbered. The North arm of the transept is covered with a roof long half-timbered and a rump. North Tower covered with a Pavilion roof. South arm covered with a roof long half-timbered gable discovered. South Tower covered with a Pavilion roof. Five sided apse covered with a roof long sections and a polygonal rump. Radiating chapels polygonal roof. Slate roofing. first years of the 12th century: beginning of the construction of the present Cathedral. The first monument, there is the crypt, the North Tower and the lower parts of the two arms of the transept. 1237: completion of the apse. 1261: completion of the transept and the last three bays of the nave. 1285-1303: construction of the ambulatory and three chapels. 1470-1475: addition of a Bay of nave. 1491-1505: construction of two other spans of the nave. 1520: construction of an arrow on the North Tower, which peaked at 80 m. 1627: gift of the Geoffroy Canon to the factory of 40000 books that allow the construction of the first two bays of the nave and the west facade, probably prompted by the Parisian architect MD between 1628-1634. 1668: the lightning fell to the arrow of the North Tower, who swooped on the apse and collapse the vault. The ensuing recovery underpinned by four batteries of the apse. The revolution: abolition of the diocese and transformation into a stable, sculptures hammered portals North and West, almost total destruction of the furniture. 1842-1846: reconstruction according to the plans of the Diocesan architect of Granrut, of the facade of the South arm, in harmony with that of the North, as well as of two spans, due to their deterioration due to the fire in 1668. 1881-1882: construction of the sacristy, in a neo-Gothic style according to the plans of Ouradou, architect of Historic Monuments. Late 20th s.: consolidation of the foundations of the western façade.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : Lomyre (St. Stephan's Cathedral, chalons en champagne)
St. Stephan's Cathedral, Patrimoine classé ou inscrit dit 'cathédrale Saint-Etienne' à chalons en champagne (marne 51000). chalons en champagne, marne
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Champagne-Ardenne - Service chargé de l'inventaire3, rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine 51037 Châlons-en-Champagne - 03.26.70.36.81
Men involved in this construction
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.