Ball lock site, French Heritage monument to St jean sur mayenne
Bushel dam is to build on the foundations of the road prior to 1850. He obliquely bar the river just upstream of its confluence with the Ernée. It relies, downstream, however the dyke separating the bed of Mayenne short channel taken by vessels on the lower part of which was built in lock. The masonry parts are processed in carved granite. The lock House is the first built when the line of Mayenne with Belle Poule. Prior to the construction of a fourth Bay to the East, on the model of the side spans, its main elevation, oriented towards the North, had a symmetrical layout. It is distinguished from the other houses eclusieres by the shape of its openings, curved and non-rectangular. Berries frames and corner tapped chains are Tuff. Only the basement that catch front two markets in a straight staircase is carved granite. Drilled cellar Windows, he noted the presence of a cave, almost buried on this side but widely released on the rear façade where the access door is pierced. The name of the lock is engraved on the support of the central window of the first floor and his number (18) inscribed on a plate of iron placed above the main door key. In the garden, East lie a latrine building, built according to the plan-type, brick masonry and roof Pavilion, and at the end of the parcel, along the towpath, a revised dependency, currently serving garage. The floor of BU exist since at least the 15th century. It was the operation of a mill located on the left bank. In order to ensure the passage of boats on the high Mayenne, a project for the construction of a lock ball is established in 1846 by the ordinary engineer Ponts et chaussées Leblanc. It provides the simple heightening of the dam, the destruction of the mill and the digging of a small channel of access to the lock. Work are assigned by auction on 27 March 1847 entrepreneurs of Neuilly-le-Vendin Victor Pelletier and Pierre Lebreton. Quickly interrupted, they are included in 1852 on a draft revised by e. Caillaux engineer in 1850: pertuis moved against the abutment of the dam on the right bank. Construction, carried out in Régie, is virtually complete at the end of 1853. The door lock House the date of 1848 on the arc of the door key. A new mill was erected on the right bank in 1860. The dam was rebuilt in 1881 on the plans of the engineer Moreau by Laval Joseph Vannier contractor chosen by tender on April 30, 1880. The lock House was expanded in 1982.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : fox (Ball lock site, st jean sur mayenne)
Ball lock site, Bushel dam is to build on the foundations of the road prior to 1850. He obliquely bar the river just upstream of its confluence with the Ernée. It relies, (...) Ball lock site, French Heritage monument to St jean sur mayenne st jean sur mayenne, mayenne
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional des Pays de la Loire - Service du patrimoine - 1 rue de la Loire - 44966 Nantes cedex 9 - 02 28 20 54 70
Men involved in this construction
- Leblanc (in French) ingénieur civil
- Caillaux e. (in French) ingénieur civil
- Moreau (in French) ingénieur civil
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.