Meurthe et moselle
At the time of Jules César, the territory currently occupied by the Department of the Meurthe, was inhabited by the Mediomatrices, the Treviri and Leuci which appear to have given their name to the cities of Metz, Trier and Toul. At the time of Clovis, this region belonged to the Kingdom of Austrasia, one of the four divisions of the Merovingian France. But it was only after the death of Charlemagne, and when sharing its vast empire, the Lorraine was definitively incorporated, and took its name from Lothair II, to which she returned in the paternal inheritance.
In 880, after long divisions of family, the descendants of Charlemegne last renounce all claims to this province, who spent in the empire of Germany. Soon it was divided into two dukedoms; one, the Duchy of Lorraine, surrounded by the Rhine, the Meuse and the Scheldt; the other, the Duchy of Moselle, sitting on the river of that name.
The first was its first three Dukes of the Lords of the House of Bar. In 1431, the daughter of one of them, Gérard d'Alsace, married René of Anjou, King of Naples and Sicily, and brought him as a dowry the Duchy of Lorraine. René of Anjou as assignee of the Duchy of Bar, the meeting of these two houses was accomplished.
Under Louis XI, Charles the bold, wanting to restore the ancient Kingdom of Burgundy to his advantage, wanted to include Lorraine. This contention was disastrous. He invaded the Duchy, captured Nancy, but he was defeated by the Swiss Granson and Murten, and in 1477, René II won on him this famous battle of Nancy where he was killed.
This René II, who owned in Champagne, Picardy, Flanders and Normandy of allodial property, attributed them to his second son Claude, Duke of Guise, who was the strain of this illustrious family in the history of France.
For three centuries, the Lorraine was agitated, coveted, torn by the Germany and the France, subject to all the hazards of wars, to all the perfidy of the negotiations. Finally, in 1735, the Vienna Treaty, ending the war of the succession of Poland, donna Lorraine to King Stanislas, he was Duke of Bar and of Lorraine, by stating however that upon his death, the Duchy would return to the Crown of France.
The reign of the new King who took possession of the Duchy in 1737, was happy for his people; Despite its low income, Stanislas founded free schools and hospitals, he protected mailbox, it embellishes its major cities, and Nancy is still full of memories of this kind prince. On his death in 1766, Lorraine, no regrets then, was definitely reunited to the France.
During the invasion of 1814, Lorraine peasants fought with admirable courage against the allies, and ever deserved the recognition of their compatriots.
A new territorial division of 1790, the Meurthe département was formed with part of the duchies of Bar and Lorraine, and the province of the three Bishoprics.
The department of Meurthe-et-Moselle owes its name has its two principal rivers Meurthe, which bathe Luneville and Nancy, and the Moselle, which sprinkles Toul and receives Meurthe. It was form, in 1871:
- Districts of Nancy, Toul and Luneville, which formed before, with the districts theSaline ones and of Sarrebourg, yield to Germany, the department of Meurthe.
- District of Briey, only scrap of the department of the Moselle that have to us leaves our disasters. Its territory belonged, before 1790, partly in old Lorraine, partly in the Three bishoprices of Metz, Toul and Verdun.
The department of Meurthe-et-Moselle east locates in the north-eastern area of France. In the west, four departments Meuse, the Marne, Seine-et-Marne and Seine-et-Oise, separate it from Paris. Its chief town, Nancy, are has 353 kilometers of Paris by the railroad, has 280 only in straight line. The department is cross-piece, has 11 kilometers in the west of Luneville, by the 4? degree is meridian line of Paris. In the other direction, i.e. west in the east and either of north in the south, has 5 or 6 kilometers in the north of Thiaucourt, it is cut by the 49? northern degree of latitude it is consequently of 4 degrees more brings closer to the Pole that of Ecuador, that separate one from the other 90 degrees or a quadrant. Nancy is about under same longitude that Vesoul and Geneva, under the same latitude that Vitry-le-Francois, Dreux, Argentan and Avranches.
Meurthe-et-Moselle has as limits:
- In the east, Alsace-Lorraine.
- In north, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and Belgium.
- In the west, the department of the Meuse.
- With the south, that of the Vosges.
These borders are more conventional than natural in the east, the Pail the form over a big length in the west, Crusne and Othain on a few kilometers. In south-east, the deep valley or runs the plain separate Meurthe-et-Moselle of the department of the Vosges.
The surface of the department of Meurthe-et-Moselle east of 525,254 hectares under this report/ratio, it is the 69e department in other words, 68 are wider. It with the shape of a triangle to which is soda, in north, by a broad isthmus of 8 kilometers, a band of territory including/understanding the district of Briey. Its bigger length, of the south in north, courcelles has Mount-Saint-Martin, is of 132 kilometers; its greater width, of the west in the east, Mount-the-Vineyard has Raon-les-Leau, is of 88 kifometres.
Source: Geography of the department of Meurthe-et-Moselle per Adolphe Joanne in 1881.
latest Department notices
Wheat, mill known as flower mill flour mill, French Heritage monument to Waville 14
Building of water, making workshop: rubble limestone without stone size, coating, 3 ... square floors, sequenced elevation, long sections in mechanical tile roof; (...) Wheat, mill known as flower mill flour mill, French Heritage monument to Waville
Mill said wheat mill of Bammannavar, corroierie, French Heritage monument to Waville 16
2 workshops: 1 square floor, roof long half-timbered mechanical tile and synthetic ... material. barn: long pans, hip tile hollow; housing management: 2 storey (...) Mill said wheat mill of Bammannavar, corroierie, French Heritage monument to Waville
Monument Notre-Dame-du-Rupt-de-Mad, French Heritage monument to Onville 17
Monument erected in 1946 by the sculptor George Acker following a vow ... of the Abbot Drouet, Onville cure, in gratitude for the protection of the Valley during (...) Monument Notre-Dame-du-Rupt-de-Mad, French Heritage monument to Onville
House (Tower) known as Castle and Tower of the Knights Templar, French Heritage monument to Thelod 2
« House (Tower) known as Castle and Tower of the Knights Templar ... » is a construction of the city of Thelod (France, Meurthe et moselle). House (Tower) known as Castle and Tower of the Knights Templar, French Heritage monument to Thelod
moulin à tan ; tannerie ; scierie du Pilan ; saboterie ; clouterie, actuellement usine de béton réfractaire
Patrimoine classé ou inscrit dit 'moulin à tan ; tannerie ; scierie ... du Pilan ; saboterie ; clouterie, actuellement usine de béton réfractaire' à bayonville sur mad (meurthe et moselle 54890).
Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson
Flamboyant style, the Church was built in the 16th century, during the ... creation of the new city, founded by Theobald II. The choir, the transept and the last Bay of the nave date from this period. The Bell Tower, originally placed on the left of the choir was rebuilt by the architect Jake in the 17th century. The portal, rebuilt in the 18th century, houses a beautiful altarpiece, a Baroque campanile, a 15th century Pietà and Christ climbing to Calvary, work of Ligier Richier.