Former ducal palace, currently the Museum Lorraine, French Heritage monument to Nancy

Both monuments which Raoul Duke had endowed its capital, one, the collegiate church Saint-Georges badge, was razed to its foundations. the other, the Ducal Palace, stripped, degraded, disgraced, is no longer that shadow him even, and person would recognize, in this building if deplorably mauled, the triumphant Ducal House which spoke with a patriotic pride Edmond of Bouley; the magnificum Palatium admired the Jodocus Sincerus traveller; the truly Royal residence Finally, where Louis XIV and Anne of Austria were more conveniently to the Louvre.

It looks today like a corpse which it would loose all Member and to which it would remained as the trunk. It no longer sees anything, in fact, buildings that lined, one side, the Cordeliers; on the other, the quarry, in relying on Saint-Georges, and connected by a vast corps-de-logis. nothing of this famous Tower, architectural wonder, the top of which could fit the carriages of the Court; nothing on the floor that ended the ramp decorated with statues, masterpieces of Drouin. Nothing garden that spread as an amphitheatre on the bastion of the ladies, and hence the view walked on laughing basin of the Meurthe.

A single wing of the Palace is still standing; but the double facade of this debris, so majestic and so rich in memories, did not escape completely to the blows of the vandalism: it has lost here, medallions containing portraits of our Dukes; There, the protruding turret with the fingerprint is seen on the wall; huge gargoyles, capricious artist fantasies, that linked one to the other a wide bead of stone, now broken in several places. It has lost its graceful chimneys, its Dormer Windows with their jagged spikes, and the ridge that overcame the height of its roof, such a gold lace.

Inside, the Palace suffered from not less regrettable mutilation: the splendid room of honour, with its rich ceiling where glittered, close to the figure of Charles III, crosses and alerions, national emblems, no longer; It is barely if the Gallery of deer, widow of its vault where mingled gold and azure, a few slight traces of the paintings had rejuvenated the Bellange brush; This room, once witness of so many impressive ceremonies, became long an ignoble attic fodder, while the lower galleries are transformed into stables and that thick whitewash covers the beautiful sculptures of their capitals.

Despite these degradations which cannot too moan friends arts and historical memories, should almost feel happy at the sight of so interesting portions of the Palace who were fortunate to escape as by a miracle the destruction. On the one hand, it is the old clock tower staircase, remained almost intact, and which leads to the Gallery of deer. Further, it is the splendid gatehouse of Antoine, type precious and rare of an era that saw accomplished a revolution in architecture; real frontispiece of one remains princely, and well worthy to serve as a passage for pompous processions which followed our Dukes to their entry in their capital or drove them to their final resting place.

Behind this portal, now returned to its original magnificence, there are still two debris which also survived the time and the devastation: is the porch and lobby that it is close, which vaults have preserved their image key embellished with portraits and currency.

This is what remains of the former Palace of the Dukes of Lorraine.

These two premises were sold, the first by the city, the second by the Department, to the Committee of Musée historique lorrain, which made restoring and appropriate, using funds from a national subscription, and are temporarily placed his Museum, which was made to the public August 23, 1851. In commemoration of this event, the Committee made a copper blade, engrave the inscription, where are recalled briefly the facts relating to the foundation of the Musée lorrain:

Under the administration of Mm a. de Sivry, prefect of the Meurthe, Lemoine, Mayor of Nancy, and the direction of Mm. Chatelain, Morey and Vennapusa, architects, the Société d ' Archéologie lorraine and the Committee of the Musée historique lorrain, represented by members of their Office, Mm. Henri Lepage, President, Alexandre Gény, vice-president, the Abbot Guillaume, Secretary-Archivist-Treasurer, and c. de Saint-Germain, Secretary of the Committee, have, using a national subscription, under the auspices of the Government, according to the initiative taken by Mm j. Monet, Mayor of Nancy, a. Brown, prefect of the Meurthe, for the preservation of the memories of all the glories of the former Lorraine (meurthe, meuse, vosges, moselle, haute-marne), and founded the Museum, solemnly inaugurated in the presence of the scientific France Congress, September 10, 1830, and the first room was opened to the public on 25 August 1851.

Source: the palais ducal de Nancy by Henri Lepage 1852.

Former ducal palace, currently the Museum Lorraine
(Former ducal palace, currently the Museum Lorraine, nancy)


Heritage listed, historical monument, or having been under investigation

Structural information

Former ducal palace, currently the Museum Lorraine, « Former ducal palace, currently the Museum Lorraine » is a construction of the city of Nancy (France, Meurthe et moselle). Former ducal palace, currently the Museum Lorraine, French Heritage monument to Nancy nancy, meurthe et moselle

Location and general information

  • identifier : 84964
  • item : Ancien palais ducal, actuellement musée lorrain
  • Location of the building :
    • 54
    • Nancy
  • Address : 64 Grande Rue
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 54395
  • Zip code of the municipality : 54000
  • Order in the communal list : 2
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : palace
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 2 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 16th century
    • 18th century
  • Record Type : site inscrit ; secteur sauvegardé
  • Dates of protection :
    • 1840 : classé MH
    • 1944/03/14 : inscrit MH
    • 2005/12/21 : classé MH
    • 2005/12/21 : inscrit MH

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • The decor consists of 'sculpture'
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :4 parts of the building are subject to protection and are listed as follows :
    • elevation
    • court
    • stable
    • school
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • This building has been assigned the following use : museum

Other

  • Other : 7 various other information are available
    • property of the municipality the old ducal Castle type classification list of 1840 - the cartridge carved
    • facades and roofs of the building of the small quarry
    • the wall located at the boundary of the year 293 parcel
    • relic from the louvre of boffrand
    • facades and roofs of the small former stables backing onto the wall
    • in the background of parcel
    • facades and roofs of the old school building next to the wall
  • Picture : 0394e019e83f2983ee14543510b1794b.jpg
  • Comments : Former ducal palace: 18 04 1914 (O.G.). Old town (district Saint-Epvre): registered site 20 03 1972 (order).
  • Mérimée reference : PA00106304

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Former ducal palace, currently the Museum Lorraine, French Heritage monument to Nancy. Picture of patrimoinedelorraine
Ancien palais ducal, actuellement musée lorrain, nancy
Description of this building by patrimoinedelorraine :

La Porterie du Palais Ducal avec la statue équestre du duc Antoine

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Former ducal palace, currently the Museum Lorraine, French Heritage monument to Nancy. Picture of patrimoinedelorraine
Ancien palais ducal, actuellement musée lorrain, nancy
Description of this building by patrimoinedelorraine :

Fenêtre à meneaux de la façade du Palais Ducal


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.