Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson

Flamboyant style, the Church was built in the 16th century, during the creation of the new city, founded by Theobald II. The choir, the transept and the last Bay of the nave date from this period. The Bell Tower, originally placed on the left of the choir was rebuilt by the architect Jake in the 17th century. The portal, rebuilt in the 18th century, houses a beautiful altarpiece, a Baroque campanile, a 15th century Pietà and Christ climbing to Calvary, work of Ligier Richier.

The postcard against presented the Church of Saint Laurent before the construction of the bell tower which today overcomes the Tower of the Church (1900).

Henri Lepage

Me is not possible to give here a notice detailed the many religious institutions that had the city of Pont-a-Mousson, and which had been based at different times. I shall confine myself to recall documents that me will appear to offer the most interest, speaking first of the parishes and religious houses that were located in the District of each other. I borrow most of these documents to the State by the time of the parishes (1708) and the Puglia of 1768. Here that said, in substance, the first of these books on the origin and formation of the pastors of Mousson:

«To increase and beautify this city, the successors of the counts of Bar, Henri II and Thihaut I, forced residents of several neighboring parishes to come settle: it pulled out those of Saint Laurent le Levite (or old), of Sainte-Croix-ORS, Tiray (or Tirey) and Blénod.» These parishes, which were in the countryside, remained deserted and abandoned: that of Tiray formed the parish Saint-Martin; that of Blenod, the Saint John parish; but a part of the inhabitants obtained, in the sequel, return to this village, and they built a church, which was schedule to Saint John; Sainte-Croix-en-Rup retained its name; Laurent-le-Levilé became the Saint-Laurent parish. The portion of Pont-a-Mousson, located to the right of the river Moselle, was of the diocese of Metz, and the other portion, the larger, left of the Moselle, was from the diocese of Toul.

"Parish Saint-Laurent. This parish is the first and the main of Pont-a-Mousson; It is widespread, having in his riding of the Collegiate Church of Sainte-Croix, the House of the Antonistes, the convent of St. Clair and the hospital.

"It fired its origin of the parish Saint-Laurent-le-Levilé, which was formerly outside the city, and which has been transferred. It is in the part of Mousson which is of the diocese and the officiality of Toul, the Dean of Preny. (In 1782, it had 3,000 communicants.)

"The patronage of the parish belongs to the Cathedral of Metz.

«Lanrent-le-Vieux (or the Levite), there is only a part of the Church, where we are still going in procession to the Rogation... ".

"There, in the Church Saint-Laurent, the brotherhood of Saint-Sébastien and Saint-Roch, which has been prepared by different individuals.

"The brotherhood of Dame design, authorized by letters patent of Jean, Duke of Calabria, 11 January 1464.

"The brotherhood of the Crossbowmen, under the title of the assumption of our Lady, or Sainte-Marguerite, authorized by letters patent of the same Duke John, 24 March 1450.".

"The brotherhood of Saints-votes, for the relief of the souls in purgatory, established in 1651, associate, on April 28, 1652, to the archconfraternity of the Saints-votes, of Rome.

"The brotherhood of Saint-Nicolas, built in 1399, by the devotion of several bourgeois, in particular Robert, Duke of Bar, who was one of the brothers. To serve this brotherhood, this prince erected a chapel consisting of two chaplains. In 1444 the Duke René allowed to transfer these brotherhood and chapels in the Church of Sainte-Croix, at the altar Saint-Maur; in 1477, they were restored to St-Laurent.

"The brotherhood Saint-Crépin and Saint-Crepinian, established at the Saint-Crépin altar by the body of shoemakers. It exists since time immemorial.

"The brotherhood Saint-Barthélemy, for the body of the butchers, established at the altar of the same name.

"In addition to these brotherhoods, there are still several other devotion: that of Saint-Genest, for players of instruments; St. Simon and St. Jude; that of Saint-Yves, for the people of judicature; Saint-Côme and Saint-Damien, fear doctors. that of merchants, at the St. Michael altar; those of Dame Presentation of Saint-bias, ladies of charity, of Sainte-Anne, in the St. Michael altar.

"There are also within the scope of the parish, a confraternity of Penitents, who have a church in which made the service on Sundays and feasts of our Lady.

"Mr. Alexandre Rouot, Secretary-recipient of the Faculty of law, said that, for about twenty years, it is in use to say every day, for ten months of the year, for Celtic faculty, a mass called the mass of lawyers, which contribute to this service.

"Chapels. The family of Lory; that of St. Claude; the Trinity and the sieur mallet. That last is priestly and is only a prestimonie or serving, with obligation to daily mass. (A title of 1518 mention the Donnet Malerien Chapel, in the Church of Saint-Laurent)

"There are, in the cemetery of the Church Saint-Laurent, a chapel under the invocation of saint Didier and Saint Catherine; the entrance to this Chapel is in the Church, to the collateral left; It was founded around the year 1615, by Didier Nicolas and Catherine Maujean, his wife, and augmented by their children

Source: Communes of Meurthe, historical journal of cities, towns and villages by Henri Lepage 1853.

Church St. Lawrence
Crédit photo : (Church St. Lawrence, pont a mousson)


Heritage listed, historical monument, or having been under investigation

Structural information

Church St. Lawrence, Flamboyant style, the Church was built in the 16th century, during the creation of the new city, founded by Theobald II. The choir, the transept and the last Bay of the nave date from this period. The Bell Tower, originally placed on the left of the choir was rebuilt by the architect Jake in the 17th century. The portal, rebuilt in the 18th century, houses a beautiful altarpiece, a Baroque campanile, a 15th century Pietà and Christ climbing to Calvary, work of Ligier Richier. pont a mousson, meurthe et moselle

Location and general information

  • identifier : 85153
  • item : Eglise Saint-Laurent
  • Location of the building :
    • Lorraine
    • Meurthe-et-Moselle
    • Pont-à-Mousson
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 54431
  • Zip code of the municipality : 54700
  • Order in the communal list : 4
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : church
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction :
    • We have no information on the time of construction of this monument.
  • Date of protection : 1919/09/19 : classé MH
  • Date taken into account : 1993/11/03

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : owned by the 1992 municipality
  • Details : Eglise Saint-Laurent : classement par arrêté du 19 septembre 1919
  • Mérimée reference : PA00106334

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de Manuel Bazaille est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

L'église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché  octobre 2012). Classée aux Monuments historiques le 19 septembre 1919, cette église fut fondée en 1230 bien qu' il ne subsiste rien de la nef primitive, très basse et de style gothique. Elle a subi de nombreuses modifications du XVème siècle à 1900.

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). Le portail central date du XVIIIème siècle.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). Les deux premiers étages de la tour datent du XVIIIème siècle.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Égise Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). Ce campanile fut ajouté à la tour en 1900.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). A partir de 1822, à l'initiative du chanoine Hureaux, curé de Saint-Laurent, la nef et les bas-côtés furent reconstruits dans le style gothique flamboyant.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). Détail du campanile baroque où apparaissent deux de ses quatre statues.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). Bas-côté reconstruit à partir de 1822.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). Détail du dessus de la porte d'entrée avec l'inscription latine "Pavete ad Sanctuarium meum".

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). Détail surmontant l'une des petites portes qui encadrent l'entrée principale.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012) Détail de la décoration des bas-côtés.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

 Intérieur de l'église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson avec ses magnifiques voûtes à clefs sculptées et les larges verrières de l'abside. (Cliché octobre 2012).

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). Vue sur l'un des vitraux depuis l'intérieur de l'église.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). Statue de Saint-Pierre à l'intérieur de l'église.

Church St. Lawrence to Pont-a-Mousson. Picture of Manuel Bazaille
Eglise Saint-Laurent, pont a mousson
Description of this building by Manuel Bazaille :

Église Saint-Laurent à Pont-à-Mousson. (Cliché octobre 2012). Statue de Saint-Paul à l'intérieur de l'église.


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.