St-mihiel, Meuse, commune of 5500 hectares, have 220 bills of quantities of altitude, with the foot of a top of 295 bills of quantities which is attached to North East has a solid mass timbers of 393 bills of quantities of altitude, on Right Bank of the Meuse and the channel of the East, with the outlet of a side small valley, chief town of canton, district of Commercy (18 kilometers), 36-31 kilometers Northern East Is of Bar-le-Duc, 504 kilometers of Paris, octroiv brothers of the Christian Schools, sisters of St-Charles, synagogue; court of 1st authority of the district of Commercy (court of Nancy), Court of Assizes of the department of the Meuse, Justice of the Peace, communal college, primary schools supererieure, 5 schools public, 4 private schools, library (15 500 volumes).
Police station, 2 gendarmerie squads of which 1 has horse, perception, general excise officer, mortgages, savings bank (branch), under-inspection and guard of water and drills, acknowledge, notaries, ushers, appraiser, prison, house of justice and house of correct; hospital, (161 beds), military hospital welfare office.
Port, on the channel movement, one 1898,11 290 tons, of which 5695 with the loadings (industry and firewood), and 5595 with the unloadings (rough stones cassees and stones), Manufactures hosiery, embroideries on fabrics, of oils, lemonades and syrups, glasses and pince-nez, mill, sawmills, dyeings, basket making.
St-Mihiel is agreeably locates on Right Bank of the Meuse, with the outlet of the small small valley of Marsoupe, descended from the wooded heights of the Dimensions of Meuse. The city, very wide, opening of broad and clean streets, are composed of two large distinct districts.
Villeneuve or the Market, and the Borough, old part, in the small valley of Marsoupe. Church Saint-Michel, of XVe of XVIe century and especially of the end of the XVIIe century, surmontee of three turns, and containing, inter alia old works of art remainders of a jube of XVIe century whose sculptures are famous Ligier Richier; the failing Virgin supported by Jean saint, admirable group out of wood, of the same artist; a charming sculpture of the first years of the XVIIe century attribuee has Jean Richier, wire of Ligier an organ case and beautiful stalls of the XVIIIe century; beautiful modern stained glasses. Beautiful buildings of the end of the XVIIe century, which, with the church St-Micbel, constituted the abbey of this name, and which are today occupy by various public services.
St-Etienne church, in major Gothic part (XVIe century), with remains of old stained glasses, in itself not very remarkable, but famous for the group out of stone (the historic building) which carried out for it, in 1550, largest of the Lorraine sculptors of the area, Ligier Richier, whose this church was the parish. This group or the Holy Sepulchre, representative, in thirteen statues of size more than natural, the burial of Christ, east shelters by a Gothic vault and is in a perfect state of conservation. The failing Virgin and Madeleine are especially distinguees by the experts. One notices moreover has St-Etienne a beautiful retable of XVIe century and various pieces of sculpture of the school of Richier.
Houses of XVe at the XVIIe century; most interesting is that which Richier was made build for itself of 1535 has 1540 and which it decorated of the terra cotta boxes that one still sees there. Monument (by Martin Pierson, 1874) of the general Blaise, does not have St-Mihiel, keep silent in the combat of Le Bourget, during the last, sits of Paris, on Dec 21, 1870. In the surroundings, beautiful menhir (monument history), known as the Schonne Lady.
The inhabitants are call Sammiellois.
The drill communal contains 1056 hectares (including 48 in the commune of Lacroix-on-Meuse and 48 others in the commune of Laheymeix), on coral limestone and portlandien, has 250-400 bills of quantities Essences oak, beech, charms, whitewood, etc Traitement coppice under grove. Annual cuts with the 30 years revolution. Reserve, 251 Lied. The drill is grevee, in favour of the hos|iice of St-Mihiel, of a right of use represents by the selling price of the value of 81 ares of the annual cut.
Canton, 28 Ailly communes, Apremont, Bislee, Bouconville, Brasseitte, Broussey-in-Woevre, Chauvoncourt, Han-on-Meuse, Lacroix-on-Meuse, Lahayville, Liouville, Loupmont, Maizey, Marbotte, Montsec, Paroches, Rambucourt, Ranzieres, Raulecourt, Richecourt, Rouvrois-on-Meuse, Stagnant, St-Mihiel, Spada, Troyon, Varneville, Woinville, Xivray-Marvoisin; that is to say 28.525 hectares
With the accesses of the city, North, on the road of Verdun, famous Cliffs of St-Mihiel. Cave of Breha (80 bills of quantities of depth).
To 1 Southern kilometers of current St-Mihiel, at the top of the hill which crown today the fort calls Camp of the Romans, was, in IIe or IIIe century of our era, as the name of this fort still indicates it, a camp or a Gallo-Roman oppidum whose cuttings off are remainders quite visible until these last years.
With the foot of the hill towards Ve century the village of Godinecourt was form, or was founded under the invocation holy C Michel, into 709, by a count of the country calls Vulfoade, an important benedictine abbey, thanks to which the city became soon a prosperous city.
The city and the monastery took in XIe or in XIIe century the name of St-Michel-on-Meuse, which, by a deterioration whose this term does not offer an other example, became St-Mihiel. The monks having wanted, about 1050, to put itself under the immediate jurisdiction of the St-Seat, to the damage of the rights of the bishops of Verdun, on whom they depended, one of those, Thierry, having said the Large one, came has weapons to attack the abbey and the city, which it delivered to the flames.
In 1655, after a victorious seat, Louis XIII made shave the fortifications and the two castles which had made St-Mihiel, in XVe and XVIe century, a rather important place. With XVIIe and XVIIIe century, the city was the seat of the States of Barrois. During the revolution, the commune was called Rock-on-Meuse.
- Ligier Richier (1506-1572), of shepherd become one of glories of the French sculpture.
- Guillaume de Marcillat (1467-1529), known as wrongly the Marseillais, which often made it regard as Provencal, religious Dominican, artist in stained glass and artist of first order, which expressed its talent in Italy, for example in the Vatican, has Cortone, in various churches of Arezzo.
- The draughtsman Jean Berain (+1697).
- The scientist Benoit of Mallet (1656-1758), author of a curious Description of Egypt and a cosmological system prints under the title anagrammatic of Telliamed, and to which Buffon has borrows some points of its own system.
Cliffs of St-Mihiel
Picturesque accident of the department of the Meuse, in the North of the city, the cliffs of St-Mihiel are drawn up at the exit of the city, on the right of the road of Verdun. They are natural escarpments of the slopes which border Right Bank of the Meuse; they form seven enormous blocks of rocks align, lean with the hill and separated by about regular intervals. The cliffs of St-Mihiel are in themselves a topographic accident of modest importance, but they from time immemorial have striking imaginations in this very soft region of lines, and have their proximity of the town of St-Mihiel to play a role in sight and to acquire a large celebrity. They are reproduced same on the blazon of the town of St-Mihiel, which. carry azure has three cliffs of money posees on two and one
old source attention:
- Titrate: Gazetteer and administrative of France and its colonies.
- Editor: Hatchet (Paris)
- Go back to edition: 1890-1905
st mihiel, French city Department of meuse with 97 historical sites listed or simply studied for their remarkable character.
Our database currently includes 97 elements for heritage st mihiel. You will find the menu and footer links leading you on the description sheets.
There are 3 localities (Place called, location known as) in St mihiel : ecluse 10 ; foret de gobessart ; la cale seche.
listeds buildings (classified and protected) in St mihiel
Monuments in St mihiel, St mihiel has 16 buildings protected. Include :
- Ancienne abbaye (Moines (place des) ; Palais-de-Justice (rue du) ; Jean-Berain (place) ; Eglise (rue de l')) official reference : PA00106613 ;
- Couvent des Minimes (ancien) official reference : PA00106614 ;
- Eglise Saint-Etienne official reference : PA00106615 ;
- official reference : PA00106616 ;
- official reference : PA00106617 ;
- (Bois-d'Ailly (avenue du) 2) official reference : PA00106618 ;
- Maison official reference : PA00106620 ;
- Maison (Carnot (rue) 8bis) official reference : PA00106621 ;
- Immeuble (Carnot (rue) 1 ; anciennement 36 rue Carnot) official reference : PA00106622 ;
- Maison de Ligier-Richier official reference : PA00106623 ;
- Maison du Roi (Notre-Dame (rue) 2) official reference : PA00106624 ;
- Menhir dit la Dame Schonne official reference : PA00106625 ;
- Quartier Colson-Blaise official reference : PA00106626 ;
- official reference : PA00106700 ;
- official reference : PA00106714 ;
- Maison official reference : PA55000033
Places of Culture
Museums st mihiel, st mihiel has 2 Museums :
- Musée d'Art Sacré de la Meuse (Rue du Palais de Justice 55300 saint-mihiel)
Ouvert en avril, mai et octobre les week-ends et jours fériés de 14h à 18h, de juin à septembre du mercredi au lundi de 14h à 18h y compris les jours fériés
- Musée Départemental Raymond Poincaré (Clos Raymond Poincaré 55300 sampigny)
Ouvert du 15 mai au 15 octobre du dimanche au jeudi de 14h à 17h30 et le vendredi de 14h à 17h
Librarie st mihiel, st mihiel has 1 Librarie :
- bibliotheque municipale (13 rue des ecoles 55300 st mihiel)
Statistics for St mihielTown or city : st mihiel
Postcode of city : 55300
Insee code : 55463
Latitude : 48.919767
place called : 3
alley : 10
avenue : 7
path : 19
dead : 2
place : 16
bridge : 1
dock : 1
route : 6
st : 76
lane : 8
path : 2
« House » is a construction of the city of St mihiel (France, Meuse). House, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
City Hall, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 11
« City Hall » is a construction of the city of St mihiel (France, Meuse). City Hall, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
Former Faillonnet hotel or home of the gargoyles, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 1
Hotel built in 1554, mainly reworked in the 18th century. Façade of Renaissance with Zoomorphic gargoyles decor style. (...) Former Faillonnet hotel or home of the gargoyles, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
The Camp of the Roman Fort, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 42
Book of trapezoidal shape. Facade of throat defended by caponiers and annex battery built to the throat to defend the passage of the river Meuse. Central book (...) The Camp of the Roman Fort, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
Parish Church Saint-Étienne, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 99
Expansion of 1500-1515: nave of type 'halle' with choir integrated into its volume. roof of slate over the Western massif (shed roof) and the bulb (in hex) of (...) Parish Church Saint-Étienne, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
St. Michael's Abbey Church, now parish church, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 98
coated rubble: parties high in the vestibule of the chapel of the Virgin, shell of the adjacent building to the North arm of the transept; Vault: ground floor (...) St. Michael's Abbey Church, now parish church, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
Hotel Rouyn, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 27
Ground floor; foundations in stone; sequenced elevation: facades of the main body; external staircase to 2 convergent climbs: stairs leading to the main body. (...) Hotel Rouyn, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
Said building the arches Café, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 9
« Said building the arches Café » is a construction of the city of St mihiel (France, Meuse). Said building the arches Café, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
School, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 97
The building housing three rooms of school on the ground floor, entrusted to the brothers of the Christian doctrine (installed in the former convent of the (...) School, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
City, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 96
The town of Saint-Mihiel was born the intersection between 2 axes of privileged traffic, the North-South axis, formed by the Meuse, at least navigable up to (...) City, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
Theatre, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 95
The theatre was Dubois, 29, 10 m.de length, 13 m.de width, 8, 75 m.de height according to the specifications of the architect. On the ground floor were 2 (...) Theatre, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
Synagogue currently House, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 94
Central span of the main facade in stone; the decor is limited to the facade. Note the central span geometric tracery roses and berries to Horseshoe arch (...) Synagogue currently House, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
Room for asylum; school, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 93
The room for asylum is built in the garden (the sisters Lane) of a home purchased by the city, at 4, street of the Coquecelle. Occasionally, an alley is (...) Room for asylum; school, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
Priory of Benedictine convent of Capuchins, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 92
In 1791, based on the expertise of the architect J.F. nephews, the convent buildings include the Church with collateral, 4 buildings, a cloister, a backyard, (...) Priory of Benedictine convent of Capuchins, French Heritage monument to St mihiel
Priory of Benedictine monks; Couvent minimes; House, French Heritage monument to St mihiel 91
The Party of ensemble of the convent is known by an expertise report drawn up by J.P. nephews, surveyor, in 1791. the convent included 4 body building (...) Priory of Benedictine monks; Couvent minimes; House, French Heritage monument to St mihiel