Pierson Religious Art factory to Vaucouleurs

On the edge of the avenue André Maginot, building for offices and exhibition hall; share and other bays surmounted by pediments, 2 body of Chapel-shaped building, adorned with stained glass windows and surmounted by statues; in the West, behind this building, several buildings housing the painting workshop, sculpture workshop, the premises of cooking of terracotta, the realization of the canopies, the foundry, a garage workshop. the only surviving building is the manufacturing floor: ground floor, wood frame apparent, spans, long pans, lean-to roof elevation; industrial warehouse: shed

In 1860, Martin Pierson moved to Vaucouleurs and opened a workshop of statues and funerary monuments in stone. In 1865, he created the institut catholique de Vaucouleurs to produce religious statues in stone, plaster, Terra cotta and cast iron. After the war of 1870, he resumed his affair with the Demoisson sculptor and the painter Alphonse Bentz and Metz who have opted for the France workers. The success was considerable. It came to pass that the company works with Tusey smelters which only broadcast to cast-iron statuary. In 1881, it became the artistic union. In 1884, Pierson opened a branch in Paris and created a sculpture on wood religious furniture workshop. The paint shop took the magnitude. A painting on glass workshop was opened in 1887 and the manufacture of stained glass began in late 1887. In 1888, new buildings were constructed for woodwork and metalwork workshops and it acquired a steam engine. Martin Pierson died in 1900, his son Charles succeeded him. The company was very proven by the law of separation of Church and State of 1905. She then turned to the fonts of art. After the 1914-1918 war, activity resumed with the manufacture of monuments to the dead and the reconstruction of a large number of churches. Charles Pierson died in 1923, succeeded by his son Albert. But in the middle of the 20th century, sacred art commissions formed in the dioceses, they recommended to introduce a new art and statues of Vaucouleurs disappeared one by one. The 1939-1945 war came to aggravate the difficulties. Albert Pierson died in 1976. He returned to the great-grandsons of the founder, Michel and Bernard Pierson, to liquidate the work of their ancestor. The House closed its doors in 1967. The buildings were demolished with the exception of the Foundry Hall, to make way for a subdivision called Saint-Thiébaut. Existence of a Fund of private archives

Source: Ministry of culture.

Foundry, flat glass factory, plant pottery, factory furniture (font foundry, factory of stained-glass Windows) so-called factory of Art religious Pierson, Institut Catholique de Vaucouleurs, international artistic Union
Crédit photo : (Foundry, flat glass factory, plant pottery, factory furniture (font foundry, factory of stained-glass Windows) so-called factory of Art religious Pierson, Institut Catholique de Vaucouleurs, international artistic Union, vaucouleurs)


Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

Foundry, flat glass factory, plant pottery, factory furniture (font foundry, factory of stained-glass Windows) so-called factory of Art religious Pierson, Institut Catholique de Vaucouleurs, international artistic Union, In 1860, Martin Pierson moved to Vaucouleurs and opened a workshop of statues and funerary monuments in stone. In 1865, he created the institut catholique de Vaucouleurs to produce religious statues in stone, plaster, Terra cotta and cast iron. After the war of 1870, he resumed his affair with the Demoisson sculptor and the painter Alphonse Bentz and Metz who have opted for the France workers. vaucouleurs, meuse

Location and general information

  • identifier : 87770
  • item : Fonderie, Usine de Verre Plat, Usine de Poterie, Usine de Meubles (Fonderie de Fonte, Usine de Vitraux) dite Manufacture d' Art Religieux Pierson, Institut Catholique de Vaucouleurs, Union Artistique Internationale
  • Location of the building :
    • 55
    • Vaucouleurs
  • Address : avenue André Maginot
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 55533
  • Zip code of the municipality : 55140
  • Order in the communal list : 13
  • Name of the building : The building is designated by the following 6 names :
    • foundry
    • plant
    • furniture factory
    • pottery
    • pottery factory
    • flat glass plant
  • State : The building had 3 different states :
    • remains
    • threatened
    • abandoned

Dates and times

  • Period of construction :
    • We have no information on the time of construction of this monument.
  • Years :
    • 1860
    • 1888
  • Investigation : 1993
  • Date taken into account : 1994/09/15

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials: 3 elements are used in the main structure of the building.
    • limestone
    • rubble
    • coating
  • Roofing : Coverage of this building is varied there are 3 different types :
    • roof with long tails
    • shed
    • roof
  • Materials (roofing) : 2 elements in the composition of the hedge, among them we noted
    • slate
    • mechanical tile
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • A mode of coverage listed 'wood frame apparent'
  • Floors : 2 type of floors in this manual :
    • ground floor
    • rez-de-chaussee
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • The decor consists of 'sculpture'
  • Representation : 2 ornamental motifs have been identified
    • virgin
    • saint joseph
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas : 4 distinct parts in the constitution of this place :
    • industrial warehouse
    • workshop
    • manufacturing workshop
    • shelter
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • This building has been assigned the following use : commercial warehouse

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : support type sprockets left and right of the exhibition private property © lorraine region Hall
  • Authors of the survey MH :
    • Collin Simone
    • Thiébaut Pascal
  • Mérimée reference : IA00121299

The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Lorraine - service régional de l'inventaire généralHôtel Ferraris - 29, rue du Haut Bourgeois 54000 Nancy - 03.83.32.90.63

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de Stef est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.