Chapel, French Heritage monument to Melrand
The Chapel is built in granite stone. It adopts a polygonal elongated plan covered a broken hip roof. The single nave is covered by a vault in cradle and sections cut at the ends, paneled and painted. A campanile of frame, double-storey, dominates the center of the roof. The sacristy on floor, rectangular in plan, extends the bedside East. It is covered with a simple hip roof. Its role is also to stabilize the chapel built on sloping ground. The oratory, said scala-santa, is housed in the slope of the Hill, South-West of the chapel. The construction is made of rubble and stones of granite. Retaining walls form two-storey terraces served laterally by wider stairways of stone. In each end of the wall of the second terrace, a fountain was built in stone. On the upper terrace is stone oratory served by side, ramp-on-ramp stairs to two straight volleys. The oratory, square, is covered with a Pavilion roof. Its opening is between two square pillars. The vallon de la Sarre houses at the foot of a hill, the chapel of the Guelhouit and its altar known as the scala-santa. There are honors both Notre Dame and saint Isidore whose patronage seems to have predominated. The Chapel is built of the time of the Abbot Julien Marouil in 1683 (date range on the west facade), on the site of an ancient sanctuary dedicated to our Lady of the Guelhouit (our Lady of the Hermitage of the wood). The cult of saint Isidore spreads very quickly in the Breton countryside in the 17th century. The sanctuary of the Guelhouit is the seat of a confraternity named who enjoyed indulgences granted by Pope Clement XIV in 1671. The popularity of the saint and the benefit of indulgences explained the construction, in 1683, a larger than the original sanctuary. A sacristy is added to the East, extending from the bedside, in the 2nd quarter of the 18th century. Initiation of porch, visible to the South, reported the initial location planned for the sacristy. The attendance of the pardons celebrated in honor of Mary and saint Isidore is very important in the 19th century. The chapel became inadequate for the influx of pilgrims, the Abbé Constant is Daniel build, in 1885, a sanctuary of outdoor said scala-santa. The Parisian architect Douillard, responsible of the project, landscape the slope of the Hill several terraces served by degrees and dominated by a chapel surrounded by two fountains of devotion dedicated to the Virgin one to saint Isidore.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Chapel, The Chapel is built in granite stone. It adopts a polygonal elongated plan covered a broken hip roof. The single nave is covered by a vault in cradle and (...) Chapel, French Heritage monument to Melrand melrand, morbihan
Men involved in this construction
- Douillard (in French) architecte
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.