Church Notre-Dame du Pré to Donzy
Even though Notre-Dame-du-Pré is more that a ruin, the ruin is quite remarkable for it refers to this curious Priory Church, speaking of his consecration. We found on an old Missal, from the Priory of the Pre, this note on June 4: dedication of the Church of Notre-Dame-DU-PRÉ.
In what year was held this consecration? by whom was it made? It is difficult to answer these questions in a specific way. We will however try to clarify the issue. Our historians trace the Foundation of this monastery to 1, baron Hervé of Donzy, around the year 1100. Born in La Rochelle reports that Roger II granted large property to Notre-Dame-du-Pré, founded by his predecessors. Whatever it is, it is certain that from 1155 this Priory was occupied by religious of Cluny; the Bull of Pope Adrien IV actually faith. In this bubble, dated from 4 of the ides of may, first year of his pontificate, this Pope is the enumeration of property belonging to Notre-Dame-du-Pré, of its rights on Donzy-le-Châtel, Castrum Donziacense, on Bouhy, Pougny, etc., and takes this monastery under his protection, as did Anastase, his predecessor. This bubble tells us again that the monks of the Pre took a portion of the property of a Bishop of Auxerre. Li assumes that this Bishop is Hugues de Montaigu, out of the order of Cluny and that occupied the seat of Auxerre from 1115 to 1136. It was no doubt dedicated the Church of the Pre, around 1120, when Hervé II endowed.
This Priory had much to suffer in the wars which the Donziais was so often the theatre. In 1170, when the castle of Donzy by Louis VII and Gui, count of Nevers, the Church was reduced to the sad state. It had not yet restored in 1364, since Pope Urban V then granted indulgences to the faithful who would visit the Church of Notre-Dame-du-Pré at certain festivals, and there would be for handouts to help restore the.
When the Donzy by protestants, in 1569, the Priory of the Pre was almost completely destroyed. When calmer days had succeeded in these stormy times, the religious were unable to repair the harm done to their monastery, because the tracks had been burned, and they could no longer return to important lands they had previously. The Abbot of Cluny, by order of 3 October 1628, reduced the convent to the prior and the sacristan. The order was:
- that this provision would remain for sixteen years;
- that the prior would rebuild the Priory and restore a small chapel, pending the rebuilding of the Church.
It was then that this church was reduced to one-third. The Tower, which had been repaired, in 1597, as noted by an inscription that reads still on one of the stones of the Summit, had also been reduced to one third, and the Bell Tower.
In 1793, a few sacrilegious revolutionaries began to destroy this church, but reported that women of the Pre armed with stones and put them to flight. After terror, the municipal Council, who did not know the price of this monument, sold, and the buyer began to demolish; but the Council protested against this Act of vandalism, and claimed the right of property, which was recognized by the Council of prefecture; It was as well that these ruins remained standing.
In addition to the Tower, which is one of the points of triangulation of Cassini for his map of France, there are two spans of the nave and those of the aisles flanking them; above these two spans was a wide forum. All these remains are from the twelfth century and a perfect job, either under the report of the sculpture or architectural report. There still on the pillars of the traces of the crosses of consecration in polychrome painting of the time.
The portal is especially notable for its ornamentation of a rare richness. The tympanum represents the Virgin-Mother, seated and holding her child on her lap. The style is quite Byzantine; on one side an Angel balance the thurible, the other a venerable character holds a balloon on which was painted once a registration; It is one of the prophets who announced the Virgin Mother.
This church was both Priory and parish; the altar of the parish was dedicated to saint skews.
The last prior of the Pre was a Mr. Georges-François-Marie Sol, of the congregation of the mission of France; He had this Priory from 1772 until the great French revolution.
Source: Hagiologie set, or lives of the saints and other pious characters by Augustin - Joseph Crosnier 1860.
Crédit photo : pierre bastien (Church of Notre-Dame of the Meadow (ruins), donzy)
Church of Notre-Dame of the Meadow (ruins), The portal is especially notable for its ornamentation of a rare richness. The tympanum represents the Virgin-Mother, seated and holding her child on her lap. The style is quite Byzantine; on one side an Angel balance the thurible, the other a venerable character holds a balloon on which was painted once a registration; It is one of the prophets who announced the Virgin Mother. donzy, nievre
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.