Church Saint-Campbell to Donzy
This building constructed at the foot of the ramparts of the vanished Castle fits in the middle of a fabric of old houses that it dominates its mass. The choir of the 15th century retains its elevation, its slender bays and a sexpartite Vault surmounted of a frame also from the 15th century. In the 16th and 17th centuries, the degradation of the nave ceased to escalate to the point that the building was decommissioned at the beginning of the 19th century for reasons of security.
The reconstruction undertaken by the architect Paillard between 1839 and 1842 is perfectly documented in the departmental Archives of the Nièvre. It extends the Gothic choir and bears witness to the revival of interest in medieval architecture in the 19th century. The building is built on sloping ground, which explains its eventful architectural history; It is flanked by houses as well as a large step on the North-west facade. It obeys a relatively irregular plan, found on the reconstruction plans led by the architect Paillard from 1839 to 1842: a central nave completed by two collateral on which open chapels to the Northwest and Southeast. The nave is extended by a chorus close, he also supported by chapels.
The Southwest facade, opposite of the choir, is dominated by a square-storey Bell Tower. In the lower register, a big gate in third point provides access to the porch under the Bell Tower. The Bell Tower is flanked by buttresses. Moulded cornices delimit levels. 3-sided bays in third point with tracery neo-rayonnant at louvered light inside. The arrow under the Paillard architect on his drawings of 1839 and 1842 was not built. A balustrade crowns all. The Northwest façade is very irregular: from left to right, elevation of the Gothic choir flanked by two chapels and a small Board style house with a flat facade decorated with pilasters and capitals light 4 builds on the side of the Church. At the top of a large step, a large Gothic portal with side walls, pinnacles, arching, shapely and blind tympanum opens on the inside then right a chapel almost to the right of the Bell Tower, in beautiful device, presents in painted letters the Republican motto.
Southeast, the facade is also irregular but recoilless. Foothills and abutments are drowned in the roof of the chapels which open onto southeastern collateral. The aisle has an elevation much lower than that of the nave and the choir. The interior volume presents legible irregularities outside: Bell tower porch off work; three naves forming 5 spans and rounded choir. The choir and the nave are vaulted edges with a warhead Ridge. On the first floor of the topped Bell Tower of a hole of tower houses a forum which opens onto the central nave. It should be noted in a square plan, northwest-side chapel, warheads falling on beautiful carved bases symbol of the 4 evangelists.
The choir is very slender. It is lighted by 3 high lancets. The nave has the same elevation. Of arches in third point onto the aisles and are separated by large pilasters posed on with high bases underpinning prismatic bases. The ensemble is particularly homogenous. Only, unlike stone allows you to see the juxtaposition between the 1500 and the work of the departmental architect Paillard between 1839 and 1842. The elevation of the nave has a level of large arches, a blind level and a level of high windows under the formeret arches. Beautiful frame of the choir with herringbone closed is probably original. Reading of the building, outdoor, indoor and plans of Paillard, 1839-1842, to very easily locate the parts of the 15th century and the extension of the 19th century.
Source: Ministry of culture.
Crédit photo : pierre bastien (Church Saint-Campbell, donzy)
Church Saint-Campbell, This building constructed at the foot of the ramparts of the vanished Castle fits in the middle of a fabric of old houses that it dominates its mass. The choir of the 15th century retains its elevation, its slender bays and a sexpartite Vault surmounted of a frame also from the 15th century. In the 16th and 17th centuries, the degradation of the nave ceased to escalate to the point that the building was decommissioned at the beginning of the 19th century for reasons of security. donzy, nievre
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.