Royal forges of the Chaussade at Guérigny
Guérigny (Ford to fire) form a town of about 3,000 souls sitting 1 kilometres north of Nevers on both branches of the Nièvre, very-small non-navigable river. Des forges Guérigny has are designated under the name of Imperial Forges of the Chaussade.
It was only a poor village of huts covered with stubble, when Herman, Bishop of Nevers, donated, in 841, at the sixty canons of the chapter.
This country suffers even more the feudal yoke that he was located in a province sought very much longer for the facilities it offered the dominant passions, hunting and fishing, because of its industrial products. Also, saw rising on all sides of countless fortresses; were eleven on la nièvre, near Guérigny, within a radius of 8 to 10 kilometres. Seven are still standing. These manors effectively protected the forges and villages against the depredations of the hoards bribed by the political factions or religious. Such was the protective action that the castle of Villemenant was on the parish of Guérigny populations.
The land of Villemenant, moving fief of the Motte of Ourouër belonged before 1341 to Veaulce family. Jean de Veaulce, Lord of Villemenant, was a member by the nobility of the province, in 1405, Philippe-le-Hardi, Duke of Burgundy, count of Nivernais, during his joyous entry in his town of Nevers. It was he who built under Jacques Coeur, silver Cabinet of Charles VII, the old castel we admire today. Its pretty exterior facade, on which projection the elegant staircase turret, recalls the original style of the Renaissance.
The seigneury of Villemenant depended on a blast furnace, the forge of the Poelonnerie and Marcy, workshops that formed the nucleus of the great institution we serve. The descendants of Jean de Veaulce neglected not exploitation. Became, a century later, so large on the Hare around Nevers as the Burghers of this city (1560), frightened of a growing increase in the price of wood, presented a petition to the King to demolish, remove, kill all the forges in three leagues, with defence is to build others; and that will be hard to believe nowadays industrialists, the King approved their application.
The Villemenant ironworks, remote of three and a half leagues, came naturally to this odd measurement.
The property, at the end of the 16th century, changes of master; It belongs to Philippe de Lange. His son, Arnault, baron of leather and Château-Renaud, Lord of Marcy and Villemenant, master of light cavalry to the regiment of the Duke of Enghien, in 1638, at the price of 8000 Livre tournois, bought Guérigny Earth, chapter of Nevers. Immediately, he had raised at the junction of the two branches of the Nièvre, a big forge with wheels, bellows and. hydraulic hammer. The construction of this new workshop raised fiery discussions between the baron de Lange and the Lord of Bizy, owner of a forge and a blast furnace located upstream; They focused on the interpretation of the rules for the flow of water and the height to give the empellements and Weirs. And, interestingly, it was February 10, 1865, following an entente cordiale between the County of Bizy and Navy officers, that these sterile debates ceased; they had lasted for 227 years!
The expansion of plants prompted the concentration at the village of Guérigny of a sizeable working population, it took consider supplies it essential to life food. For this purpose, M. de Lange, taking advantage of its relations with the great figures of the time, obtained, in 1640, by letters patent of Louis XIV, the establishment of two fairs per year, and a weekly market.
From this period dates a new era for Guérigny. His irons are so sought-after that Colbert himself, in his notes to the marquis de Seignelay, recommends reinvestment in a special way in military arsenals. Seignelay, Minister of marine, not only followed the requirements of his father, but still transmitted them to his successors.
It was so until 1722, year where Guillaume de Lange, grandson of baron Arnault, marquis, colonel of infantry, leading to Paris with his wife, Charlotte de Puysieux, a train of Great Lord of the Regency, sold the most beautiful part of the property in order to pay its debts; He held that the Manor of Villemenant and some surrounding land.
The purchaser, Mr. Masson, Paris banker, paya des forges, land and. wood, 131,800 livres.
Source: The maritime review by french Institute of sea 1869
Crédit photo : pierre bastien (Royal forges of the Chandra (old), guerigny)
Royal forges of the Chandra (old), The seigneury of Villemenant depended on a blast furnace, the forge of the Poelonnerie and Marcy, workshops that formed the nucleus of the great institution we serve. The descendants of Jean de Veaulce neglected not exploitation. Became, a century later, so large on the Hare around Nevers as the Burghers of this city (1560), frightened of a growing increase in the price of wood, presented a petition to the King to demolish, remove, kill all the forges in three leagues, with defence is to build others guerigny, nievre
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.