Arc de triomphe, French Heritage monument to Maroilles

Arc de triomphe was built in a corner of the Green Plaza as the main ornament of places. It consists of a single arch. The pillars from the ancient Abbey were placed on a brick masonry. An inscription is located on the rangetop: ' this arc de triomphe was raised in 1807 to the glory of our armed forces by Nicolas Jph Vendois, Mayor of the year VII ' 1816
* another has been placed on the Ark: 'Those of 1789, to equality, July 14, 1989'. The green square is built in 1808-1809 by Landrecies Guyot architect with the collaboration of Borden, eldest, head of Office of public works for the Department of the North, under the class of Vendois. The decision was also taken to build a 'triumphal arch in which we will use materials from the demolition of the upper portico of the old Abbey of maroilles cheese', in honour of the Napoleonic victories. Pilasters, the arcade and the entablature consist of reinvestment, while the monument is designed and completed by the architect Guyot. The choice is made to reuse the second level of the 'swing' of the ancient Abbey of Ionic order ('a more genteel kind and which will provide a more beautiful look' according to Deulin reuse materials provider), rather than the Doric front demolished. The pediment has originally weapons of the Emperor and a currency perpetuating his glory. The arc is restored in 1843 by the architect Grimault, Fournier being mayor.

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

Arc de triomphe

Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

Arc de triomphe, Arc de triomphe was built in a corner of the Green Plaza as the main ornament of places. It consists of a single arch. The pillars from the ancient Abbey were (...) Arc de triomphe, French Heritage monument to Maroilles maroilles, nord

Location and general information

  • identifier : 98172
  • item : arc de triomphe
  • Location of the building :
    • Nord-Pas-de-Calais
    • Maroilles
  • Address : place Verte
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 59384
  • Zip code of the municipality : 59550
  • Order in the communal list : 7
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : triumphal arch
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction :
    • We have no information on the time of construction of this monument.
  • Year : 1808
  • Investigation : 1999
  • Date of protection : 1977/03/16 : inscrit MH
  • Date taken into account : 2003/03/14

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials: 5 elements are used in the main structure of the building.
    • limestone
    • rubble
    • brick
    • ashlar
    • stone
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • The decor consists of 'sculpture'
  • Representation :
    • the only ornament listed is 'Ionic'
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • Plan Type 'symmetrical plan'

Monument and history of the place

  • Building containing : place
  • Interest of the building : L'arc de triomphe de Maroilles est une des traces de l'ancienne abbaye bénédictine. Il prend place dans une composition raisonnée, à l'un des angles de la place Verte.
  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : property of the municipality
  • Details : Le portail de l' ancienne église abbatiale transformé en arc de triomphe (cad. A 1541) : inscription par arrêté du 16 mars 1977.
  • Author of the survey MH : Guillot Catherine
  • Mérimée reference : IA59000752

The complete official record is available at Conseil régional du Nord - Pas-de-Calais - DAIRE151 Bd Hoover 59555 Lille Cedex - 03 28 82 67 40

Men involved in this construction


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.