Church, French Heritage monument to Orrouy
The village is proud of its antiquity, revelee by a high menhir of 4 bills of quantities, that the peasants call Marie-Colette; it shows with pride also its pretty Saint-Remi church, with the gate surmounts by a high square tower of two stages and glaze of a roof has batiere.
The four Romance openings of the first stage were stopped; those of the upper floor recall by their provision the windows of Saint-Vaast of Longmont, but their pleasant ordinance is gatee by the thin ones and disgracieux zinc louver. The interior has three naves and east finishes by a Flat-bottomed chorus one one can admire without restriction five beautiful canopies rebirth.
That of the central window, representative various scenes of Passion, is particularly remarkable, as much by the beauty of its colour that by the deeply poetic feeling whose its various compositions are impressed.
- Titrate: Stages of a tourist in France.
- Author: Martin, Alexis (1834-19.)
- Editor: A. Hennuyer (Paris)
- Go back to edition: 1893-1894
The church and its incomes were subjected to the abbey of Saint-Crepin-the-Large of Soissons, when the Norman ones penetrerent in the valley of Autumn. The Benedictines placerent themselves incontinent under the protection of the counts de Crepy which, the danger passes, are emparerent of all the field, under pretext of make discharge the right of sauvement. In 995, Gaultier-the-White, whose brother was bishop of Beauvais, returned the fields invaded. Those of Orrouy and Eluats are expressly indicate in the act of restitution.
A local, sizeable version to the legendary point of view, reports that the church of Orrouy (perhaps Oratorium or gathered the faithful clans the first times of Christianity), was placee above the village. As this church threatened ruin, one wanted to withdraw the holy things from them, but it was impossible to remove a statue of virgin who was made suddenly so heavy that no man power could move it. However one of the feathers composing the crown of the statue was detachee; suspended a long time in the airs by the wind which had it enlevee, it had finally come to fall down dimension of the valley, on a point then uninhabited. It was manifest for all that the will express of holy was that this place was selected to raise a new church there.
No one did not have thus guard to be opposed has this will, although the place indicates was a ground abrupt (This building is dark and partly buries, because one descends seven steps to penetrate in the interior).
Hardly the resolution to obey holy it was taken that the statue losing its mysterious gravity could be transportee and placee then in the new building.
The church of Orrouy, dediee has holy Remy and has holy Charles Borromee, has many stained glasses of which some carry the date of 1542.
One of the bells, carrying the year of 1593, comes from Champlieu.
- Titrate: Compiegne and its surroundings
- Author: Ewig, Leon
- Editor: J. Dubois wire (Compiegne)
- Go back to edition: 1860
Church, « Church » is a construction of the city of Orrouy (France, Oise). Church, French Heritage monument to Orrouy orrouy, oise
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.