Saint-Gervais-St.-Protais Cathedral , French Heritage monument to Senlis
Built with the whole beginning of the year 1150, Our-Lady-of-Senlis is consacree on June 16, 1191. Its relatively modest dimensions (18 m under keystone) are compensated by an impressive Gothic frontage blazing which confers much majesty to him. The Gothic style initial east alters to the XIII E century: the bell-tower of the south is prolonged elegant arrow then has two stages, and the interior prospect is broken thanks to a transept leaving the nave shorter than the chorus. In 1504, a fire causes by the lightning devastates the frame and involves the collapse of the vaults, except for those of the first span. Its rebuilding will be the occasion to raise (of 6 m) the high parts of the cathedral, to double the low dimensions of the nave then to avoid the side walls of a splendid blazing decoration. The Revolution, fatal has so many religious monuments, will save the cathedral of Senlis partly. Admittedly, furniture disappears, but the destruction is limited to the heads of statue-columns of the Western gate (remplacees in the middle of the XIX E century). The building will then entirely be restores to the XX E century. To note: the Western gate decorates with the first representation sculptee of the crowning of the Virgin.
Source: extract draws from the sly little minx, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Picardy by Jean-Paul Labourdette 2007.
- 1152-1153, the construction of the cathedral begin with the chorus.
- 1162-1163, the vaults of the nave are in place.
- Medium XIII E century, the construction of a transept, absent in the church of the 12th century, is undertaken, probably after 1240.
- Second quarter of the XIII E century, the southern tower of the Western frontage is surmontee of a stone arrow, about 1230-1240.
- 1417 first fire in the cathedral.
- the 1465 large vault of the baillif is built in the south of the chorus.
- 1504 new fire which damages the vaults of the cathedral and the transept of the XIII E century.
- the 1507 king grants, of the subsidies for the rebuilding and the building work of the southern frontage of the transept which starts in 1521.
- 1530 one always works with the southern transept under the direction of Pierre Chambiges and Jean Dizieult.
- the 1560 northern gate east completes under the direction of Jean Dizieult.
- XV E century of the murals are carried out there.
- 1758 have 1765 of important work of restoration are carried out.
- the 1787 chorus is redecore.
- the 1791 cathedral remains open as a parish church.
- the 1793 church is used as warehouse.
Source: ministry for the culture.
Crédit photo : joel.herbez (Saint-Gervais-St.-Protais Cathedral , senlis)
Saint-Gervais-St.-Protais Cathedral , The Cathedral was composed originally of a long ship of eight spans (three-span single and five double spans) between aisles and completed to the East by a (...) Saint-Gervais-St.-Protais Cathedral , French Heritage monument to Senlis senlis, oise
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Picardie - Service de l'Inventaire du patrimoine culturel 88, rue Gaulthier de Rumilly 80000 Amiens - 03.22.97.16.57
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.