The territory currently occupied by the Department of Orne, was inhabited in large part, before the Roman invasion, by the Diablintes Aulerces; these peoples very courageously resisted César soldiers under the orders of their leader Viridovix; a few years later, they are fighting alongside the heroic Vercingetorix. After their defeat, the Aulerces were forced to submit to the Roman administration. Towards the end of the 3rd century, the country, then included in the second Lyons, was ravaged by the Saxons that the Romans were helpless to repel, and one hundred years later, after be fixed on the coast of the English channel, the Saxons founded the city of Sascia, probable origin from the town of Séez.
However, the armorican cities met in a confederacy to resist the invasion of the barbarians, including the Huns and Alans who devastated this part of Gaul; they managed to repel them, and resisted the Franks until the moment where a treaty dated 497, made master Clovis of the territory of Alençon. This land was then part of Neustria, and suffered the invasions of Rollo and his Norman. Charles-le-Simple had to cede it to Rollo; It is at this time that dates back to the division of the province into two counties, the County of Alençon who reported to the Duchy of Normandy, and count of Perche, Bellême was the capital, which depended on the Crown of France.
The history of the County of Alençon is very bloody, and its counties is followed there by killing each other, since Yves de Creil to Robert III of the House of Montgomery, who accompanied Philippe-Auguste in the Holy Land, and died without issue. The King of France then acquired the County which, in 1283, entered the royal domain. Saint Louis formed the prerogative of his son Pierre, and after his death, Philippe-le-Hardi gave it to his son Charles. From these various successors, the most remarkable are Jean Ier, for which the County was erected as a Duché-pairie, Jean II, who valiantly fought the English in the 15th century, and Charles, husband of the illustrious Marguerite, sister of François Ier and Queen of Navarre, who died in 1549. The Duchy then made back to the Crown, and Charles IX gave it to his brother François. The wars of religion disturbed this country, which was later the theatre of war during the activities of the League. Henri IV seized of Alençon, sold, in 1605, the Duchy to the Duke of Württemberg, which Marie de Médicis bought it in 1613. Under Louis XIV, it was given to Gaston, Duke of Orleans, then his wife and his daughter, returned to the Crown, and was given as an appanage to the duc de Berry, grandson of Louis XIV, then to the count of Provence, who became later Louis XVIII.
The pole was ruled by particular warlords, and to the extinction of this race, he returned to the royal domain in 1257. Meeting in the County of Alençon in 1286, under Philippe-le-Hardi, he followed all the vicissitudes of this county which broke up more.
During the Revolution, the country was devastated by the chouannerie, and in 1800, the defeat of the Earl of rubbed, one of the leaders of the uprising, there ended the civil war.
Territorial realignment of 1790, the Orne département was formed from the former Duchy of Alençon and Perche.
The Orne mainly part of the former province of Normandy. its southeastern part however is part of the boom.
He formed with the departments of Calvados and Manche region Basse-Normandie. It is bordered North by the Calvados, West by the handle, to the South by the Mayenne and Sarthe (region Pays-de-la-Loire), Southeast by the Eure-et-Loir (Centre region) and North-East by Eure (Northern France).
The West of the Department belongs to the Norman Bocage. This region is called "Bocage ornamented. The main cities are Flers, La Ferté-Macé and Domfront. The spa town of Bagnoles - de - l'Orne is also found in this region. The Andaines forest is located to the South of the Bocage ornamented which is itself divided into geographical subsets: Domfrontais, Houlme countries, of Andaine and Norman Switzerland (Val of Orne).
Department Center leaves place to a cereal plain: campaign of Argentan and campaign of Alençon. There are also the Écouves forest. The Alpes mancelles overflow on the Orne département southwest of Alençon, where one of the most beautiful villages of France: Saint-Céneri-le-Gérei.
In the centre-North-East, the southern pays d'Auge covers the Department. It is now tend to confuse this part of the pays d'Auge with the campaign of Argentan. This is the land of Camembert with the village of Camembert and the town of Vimoutiers. It is also the country of the horse and the stud (Haras du Pin, Argentan Racecourse, etc.) in the Hiémois.
To the Northeast lies the pays d'ouche who is riding on the Department of Orne and Eure. The main town is the Eagle.
Finally to the East and Southeast the Perche extends, deploying its forests and its wood. The main cities are Perche and Bellême.
With almost 105 000 ha, the forest is a place of choice in the geography and the economic activity of the Orne.
Two regional nature parks contribute significantly to the enhancement of the natural heritage and the development of the tourist activity of the Department:
The Perche regional natural park covers the East of the Department and overflows into the neighbouring Eure-et-Loir. It includes the towns of Mortagne - au-Perche, Bellême..., with its landscape of wooded hills and typical villages.
The Parc naturel régional Normandie-Maine South-West overflows into the departments of Manche, Mayenne and Sarthe.
The Department is crossed by the line of the watershed flowing towards the Atlantic, to the South, and towards the English channel to the North. The Orne, eponymous River, flows into the English Channel Norman Switzerland and watered Caen.
The Department is also formed on the hills of Normandy. The highlight of the Orne is the Signal of Écouves (417 m).
latest Department notices
Church Notre-Dame to Lonlay l'abbaye
The Church of Lonlay is interesting in terms of its architecture and ... sculptures adorning the: it is also by memories historical and religious that it recalls. It is the only remnants of the ancient and famous Abbey of Lonlay, escaped the ravages of man and time. The monastery that she had seen to rise and spread by degrees in the shade of its walls, she saw disappear the last vestiges: the current buildings were indeed of ancient as their destination, religious as their name.
The Chauffetieres brick, French Heritage monument to L home chamondot 2
Attested in 1760 (described in the encyclopedia), the brickyard for the Chauffetieres ... property of the marquis de Gontaud-Biron, then consisted a single oven, a (...) The Chauffetieres brick, French Heritage monument to L home chamondot