The fort of Alprech part of these defensive devices designed by Séré de Rivières, near the lighthouse built in 1842.
Built from 1875 to 1877 (under the third Republic), Alprech, army battery of guns and howitzers, housed casemates destined for housing of a hundred men, and some magazines. During the (World War II) occupation, the Germans are implanted radars. Abandoned since and covered by vegetation, the fort of Alprech was the subject of a restoration in 1999.
In 1871, "German Empire" is proclaimed at Versailles; Bismarck therefore achieved German unity. As for France, it is defeated and lost Alsace-Lorraine. In may 1871, the Treaty of Frankfurt amputates it his strongholds and its barracks in the East. The France must put in place a new strategy on a reduced territory.
That is why, on July 28, 1872, Thiers and the 3rd young Republic create the Defence Committee which will consist of ten members, all marshals and generals. Raymond Adolphe Séré of rivers will be appointed Secretary of the Defence Committee and will be subsequently responsible for the construction of the fortified system that would bear his name. From 1874 to 1880, there the total trust of the Government.
Completed in 1884, the Séré de Rivières system features 166 forts and 250 batteries. This is the most colossal effort of military constructions from Vauban. Just as there will be a "line Malnot", there is 'a line Sere of rivers' main Belfort at Dunkirk. However, there were everywhere in France of the Séré de Rivières forts.
The Fort of Alprech was created around 1875 with materials from the region, Marquise and Wimille careers stones. It is a the French army. In the first world war, he will serve as anti-submarine battery and will pass into the hands of the Navy of the 1921. The Fort will be decommissioned in 1931 and the French naval aviation, with the airport of Alprech, will be used to accommodate its staff.
Then comes the second world war during which the Fort was occupied by the German army of Earth. Little by little after the Liberation, the Fort was abandoned and field will remain a military field.
Crédit photo : joel.herbez (Fort of Alprech, le portel)
Fort of Alprech, Built from 1875 to 1877 (under the third Republic), Alprech, army battery of guns and howitzers, housed casemates destined for housing of a hundred men, and some magazines. During the (World War II) occupation, the Germans are implanted radars. Abandoned since and covered by vegetation, the fort of Alprech was the subject of a restoration in 1999.le portel, pas de calais
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users. Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.