Unidentified building, then prison, currently the Museum, called Prison of Bishops, French Heritage monument to St jean pied de port

The construction is in beautiful color wine, very homogeneous sandstone unit. Rectangular in plan, it is covered with a roof long half-timbered gable covered in tile. The front facade on street is pierced with a door full-arches chamfered large voussoirs of sandstone, a rectangular window in sandstone on the ground floor and the floor of a window mullion salient support. On the ground floor the entrance opens on a body guard followed by disciplinary cells. A straight staircase masonry leads to vaulted rectangular room located in the basement. Some chains equipped with neck ties remain on the walls. Construction probably dates from the 13th century-14th century limit. It is restored in the 16th century and the 17th century. The original function of this building is unknown. Due to its vaulted underground room, some authors saw the old city hall, either most likely a scholarship of merchants with warehouse in the basement, is also a chapel. The building housed a prison, but on a very short duration that does not justify the present name. His 'Prison of the Bishops' name is recent, it dates from the middle of the 20th century and appears to many as a 'historical heresy'. It refers to the period of the Great Schism of the West (1383-1418) during which Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port was three times Episcopal residence. The building is now converted into a Museum and opened to the public. A report of architectural survey conducted in 1997 by Benoît Duvivier watch that part West of the building, the oldest, is supported to the South on another building going up at the end of the 13th century, which only remained the remains of a wall showing a pullout on the West side, including at the 1st level, three narrow bays and a door. A garden occupies the site of this building since at least the 17th century.

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

unidentified building, then prison, currently the Museum, called Prison of Bishops
Crédit photo : (unidentified building, then prison, currently the Museum, called Prison of Bishops, st jean pied de port)


Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

unidentified building, then prison, currently the Museum, called Prison of Bishops, « unidentified building, then prison, currently the Museum, called Prison of Bishops » is a construction of the city of St jean pied de port (France, Pyrenees atlantiques). Unidentified building, then prison, currently the Museum, called Prison of Bishops, French Heritage monument to St jean pied de port st jean pied de port, pyrenees atlantiques

Location and general information

  • identifier : 105266
  • item : édifice non identifié, puis prison, actuellement musée, appelé Prison des Evêques
  • Location of the building :
    • Aquitaine
    • Pyrénées-Atlantiques
    • Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
  • Address : 41 rue de la Citadelle
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 64485
  • Zip code of the municipality : 64220
  • Order in the communal list : 20
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : unidentified building
  • State :
    • current state of the monument : restored

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 3 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 13th century
    • 13th century 14th century limit
    • 14th century
  • Investigation : 2000
  • Date of protection : 1941/01/14 : inscrit MH partiellement
  • Date taken into account : 2004/09/21

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials: 3 elements are used in the main structure of the building.
    • ashlar
    • stone
    • sandstone
  • Roofing : Coverage of this building is varied there are 4 different types :
    • roof with long tails
    • sprocket cover
    • pinion
    • roof
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • the main material of this building is hollow tile
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • A mode of coverage listed 'ribbed vault'
  • Floors : 2 type of floors in this manual :
    • basement
    • 1 floor square
  • Stairs : 4 types of stairs have been cataloged in this monument, stairs are of type :
    • straight staircase
    • masonry
    • stairs in work-
    • straight staircase in masonry
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use : This building has been used in different ways over time. We know 2 successive uses. :
    • museum
    • prison

Other

  • Other : 2 various other information are available
    • property of the municipality
    • © general Council of the Pyrénées-atlantiques
  • Details : façade sur la rue de la Citadelle et salle souterraine : inscription par arrêté du 14 janvier 1941
  • Author of the survey MH : Pécheux Barbara
  • Mérimée reference : IA64000932

The complete official record is available at service régional de l'inventaire Aquitaine54, rue Magendie 33074 Bordeaux Cedex - 05.57.95.02.02

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de pierre bastien est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Description of this building by pierre bastien :

Prison des Eveques 

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Unidentified building, then prison, currently the Museum, called Prison of Bishops, French Heritage monument to St jean pied de port. Picture of pierre bastien
édifice non identifié, puis prison, actuellement musée, appelé Prison des Evêques, st jean pied de port
Description of this building by pierre bastien :

Prison des Eveques

Unidentified building, then prison, currently the Museum, called Prison of Bishops, French Heritage monument to St jean pied de port. Picture of pierre bastien
édifice non identifié, puis prison, actuellement musée, appelé Prison des Evêques, st jean pied de port
Description of this building by pierre bastien :

Prison des Eveques

Unidentified building, then prison, currently the Museum, called Prison of Bishops, French Heritage monument to St jean pied de port. Picture of pierre bastien
édifice non identifié, puis prison, actuellement musée, appelé Prison des Evêques, st jean pied de port
Description of this building by pierre bastien :

Prison des Eveques


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.