Church in the hamlet of La Chapelle, French Heritage monument to Quincieux

The name of Quincieux (Quinceu, Quinceus, Quinciacus juxta Ansam), is a derivative of a Gallo-Roman personal name Quintius. Etymologists, searching for the origin of the name of this town, did not fail to reflect the inevitable Roman leader, Quintius, commanding a cohort who have laid the groundwork for the village.

From the 13th century, the Church of St. Just acquired rights to the parish. Indeed, we see the Archbishop of Lyon, Benaud of Forez, certify, in 1212. Hugues of Quincieux, his brothers, his sisters, and their mother were sold and given to Dalmatius of Sachins, sacristan of St. Just, a courtil located near the village of Quincieux.

On the other hand, Guillaume de Marchamp, Knight, sold to the same Abbey, in March 1219, on one hand, and then in November 1224, half of the tithe. Finally a character by the name of Étienne de Quincieux is cited as a witness during a treaty intervened, in 1182, Justice of Anse, between the Archdeacon of the Church of Lyon and Guillaume de Marchamp already appointed.

It can be concluded, from the foregoing, that the village is quite old; its history is intertwined with that of the fief of the Hall, which belonged to the counts of Lyon. This land depended on obedience to the town of Anse; It was given by the chapter of Saint John, at the beginning of the 12th century, Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury. It is known that this prelate, exiled from England, had found asylum at the Court of the King of France, Louis VII; the archbishops of Lyon called it from them and gave him the fief of the room. Thomas Becket, after seven years in exile, returned to his country and died tragically following a revolt, which he was the instigator, against his sovereign. The successors of Thomas Becket remained Lords of the room; they sent even, say, the religious English to administer it and touch the income until the day where the Church of Lyon resumed possession of the room. Subsequently, the lordship was sold to Girard Perrière, Knight (1411), to go in Paris the interests section, and then to Jean Charlier, said Gerson (1425), who, fleeing the vengeance of the Duke of Burgundy, came to settle in Lyon. The chapter had given him Quincieux land revenue to which the city of Lyon added a monetary relief of ten pounds annually.

The fief of the Hall then passed to the Kings of France who held it until the end of the 15th century. At this time, Antoine de Viñols acquired "cens and mutable annuities of the Châtellenie of the room-of-Quincieu in Lyon", priced at 1,200 pounds, under letters patent from the King, Saint-Germain en Laye, July 22, 1514. Later, the room was built in County for a Provost of the merchants of Lyon, Pierre Baillon or Baglion, ethnic Italian, enriched in trading. A descendant of this character, Pierre-François-Marie de Baglion, County Hall, high and powerful Lord Vaux, Quincieux, Varennes, Vessieux and other places, Maître de camp of infantry, gentleman of the bedchamber of the King and of the princes, was in 1788 first Chamberlain of the comte d'Artois.

In 1808, the room belonged to baron Jean-Baptiste James, a former classmate of King Joseph Bonaparte at the college of Autun, intendant of the Queen of Spain, receiver general of the rights meeting in Paris, oc Mr. James, who had been part, as administrator of the expedition of Egypt, wanted the Castle and the Park of the room, of Quincieux, retraçassent it the image of places and monuments he had seen in the East. It turned into military tents all the apartments of the Castle; They decorated the hallways of trophies of weapons, and two pieces of Cannon, given by the Emperor, appeared to defend the main entrance door. In the Park, we saw the Mount Tabor, Jordan, Joseph channel, Lake Moeris, the pyramids of Giza, the porticos of Memphis, the head of the Sphinx, the Obelisk from Heliopolis and other monuments of the country of the Pharaohs and Ptolemies.

All with, were humble houses with biblical names: Bethlehem, Jericho, etc. This circumstance gave rise to a peculiar misunderstanding of a modern writer who was not afraid to move forward as a former Lord of Annecy, on the return from the Crusades, had named different places in its field, in memory of the dangers he had accrued in warring against the infidels.

'The field of Quincieux was parceled and sold several lots. His curiosity no longer exist: it has filled the Jordan, the canal and the Lake. for the ploughshare to flatter the obelisk, pyramids and Mount Tabor. the weapons and guns have been sold as old scrap. This area followed the fortune of Mr. James who, after being awarded with honours and dignities, died in the United States in the deepest misery. "(baron Baverat.)

The territory of Quincieux cited still the fiefdoms of Varennes and Vessieux or Bassieux. The latter was attached to the room; Varennes, as his name appears in a deed dated 26 December 1450 which Guillaume, chevalier, recognizes take Antoine of le Saix, damoiseau, the port of Trévoux, a land with a pre 'located in the pastoral letter of Varennes, all joining the Saône.

On the other hand, a character called the Varennes Bret ' which Quincieux near Cove was», is quoted about the disputes which arose in 1470, when the delimitation of the Dombes and Bresse provinces.

Today Varennes is a small hamlet; destroyed in 1840, by a terrible flood of the Saône, it has been rebuilt since.

After the Revolution, the commune of Annecy became part of the canton of Chasselay. It was particularly felt by the cataclysm just remember; fifty-four houses built of Earth and mined by the water collapsed. Major works performed in recent years to prevent the return of similar claims.

In the choir of the Church, you can see a carved wooden chair from the 14th century, who found much often envy among the antique shops.

Source: Dictionary illustrated of the communes of the Department of the Rhone by Messrs. e. Rolland and D. Clouzet

Church in the hamlet of La Chapelle
Crédit photo : (Church in the hamlet of La Chapelle, quincieux)


Heritage listed, historical monument, or having been under investigation

Structural information

Church in the hamlet of La Chapelle, « Church in the hamlet of La Chapelle » is a construction of the city of Quincieux (France, Rhone). Church in the hamlet of La Chapelle, French Heritage monument to Quincieux quincieux, rhone

Location and general information

  • identifier : 117061
  • item : Eglise du hameau de La Chapelle
  • Location of the building :
    • Rhône-Alpes
    • Rhône
    • Quincieux
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 69163
  • Zip code of the municipality : 69650
  • Order in the communal list : 1
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : church
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction :
    • The building dates mainly from the period : 16th century
  • Date of protection : 1983/03/21 : inscrit MH
  • Date taken into account : 1993/12/03

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : owned by the 1992 municipality
  • Details : Eglise du hameau de La Chapelle (cad. D 255) : inscription par arrêté du 21 mars 1983
  • Mérimée reference : PA00118019

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de Dominique Robert est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Description of this building by Dominique Robert :

Quincieux, église du hameau de La Chapelle.

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Church in the hamlet of La Chapelle, French Heritage monument to Quincieux. Picture of Dominique Robert
Eglise du hameau de La Chapelle, quincieux
Description of this building by Dominique Robert :

Quincieux, église du hameau de La Chapelle (façace).

Church in the hamlet of La Chapelle, French Heritage monument to Quincieux. Picture of Dominique Robert
Eglise du hameau de La Chapelle, quincieux
Description of this building by Dominique Robert :

Quincieux, église du hameau de La Chapelle (abside).


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.