Wayside cross, French Heritage monument to St clement sur valsonne
Before the Revolution, SAINT-CLÉMENT was parish and barony in the Lyonnais, the Archpriest of L'ARBRESLE, the election and the spring of the sénéchaussée of Lyon. The canons of St. Just in were the Lords and appointed to the cure. Valsonne parish and a portion of Saint-Appolinaire were subject to Saint-Clément found quoted as early as the year 1000, about a donation made to the Abbey of Savigny.
' The Lord of Thisy, around 1130, agreed to give everything he had in aleu in the valleys of Esther (apparently Valsonne), St. Clement and in the Valley of Saint-Véran, grounded Arbert, son of the same William, after what Humbert de Beaujeu him his all to keep fee, he and his father Humbert de Beaujeu., and Guillaume de Thisy gave him tribute... »
«To 1138, Guillaume de Thisy resumed Guichard and Humbert de Beaujeu, the fief of Valsonne, St Clement and Saint-Véran (1).»
April 26, 1252, Pope Innocent IV left Lyon after six years and four months in the cloister of St. Just. He was so grateful to the canons of their hospitality that he gave them "the barony of Saint-Clément-sous-Valsonne», which depended on the parishes of Valsonne and Saint-Appolinaire, 'on the sole condition to celebrate, each year, a service for the repose of his soul and those of his predecessors and successors.
In January 1300, Jean de Tarare donated to Guy of Albon of duties in the parishes of Lestra, Chamelet-Valsonne, St Clement, etc., etc.
During the crusade of 1464, Guillaume Dalmez de Saint-Clement-de-Valsonne, was the head of the Crusaders in this country.
In 1496 'during the months of August, September, October, November, December, circulated by the country of people of weapons of foot that did much harm; Finally the King manda drive them out of the country. A troupe of about three hundred infantrymen wanted to stay in Saint-Clément-de-Valsonne; the said place, other people nearby gathered in large numbers and drove them by force and violence. They were almost all beaten and injured. seven were killed: it and expelled them from the country. "(Benedict Mailliard.)
The Church, which seems to have been built towards the end of the 14th century, contains a curious holy water stoup.
On a plaque in marble, the vintage of 1622, a Latin inscription engraved pointed out the tomb of the Lords of Sauzet, Lords of Varenne.
Behind the Church, was a hills which you can still see the ruins.
The current Bell Tower, of weird aspect with its crenelations and its machicolations, must be the former donjon of the Castle strong.
Crédit photo : Dominique Robert (wayside cross, st clement sur valsonne)
wayside cross, « wayside cross » is a construction of the city of St clement sur valsonne (France, Rhone). Wayside cross, French Heritage monument to St clement sur valsonne st clement sur valsonne, rhone
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Description of this building by Dominique Robert :
Saint-Clément-sur-Valsonne (Rhône), croix de chemin au hameau du Perroux
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.