Villa Chapuis, French Heritage monument to St genis laval
To the East of the hills of Barolles and Lorette, stretching from Brignais in Oullins, sits the small town of SAINT-GENIS-LAVAL, that crosses the old Roman road called the Gallia narbonensis; It probably owes its name to the patron of the parish, but what is this pattern? It would be difficult to say.
Indeed, there are no less than three saints Genis:
- One, notary of Arles, suffered martyrdom for having refused to transcribe an imperial edict that persecute the Christians;
- Another, first histrion, found his way to Damascus on the stage, while he was playing a part in which the baptismal ceremony was shown;
- Finally, the last died in 678, Bishop of Lyon.
Whatever it is, the territory of Saint-Genis-Laval depended before the Revolution the Archpriest of Mornant, of the election and the spring of the sénéchaussée of Lyon. The chapter of Saint John was the cure.
For the first time, there is mention of Saint-Genis in a chapter of the counts of Lyon, dated June 1317 Act. "These rich and powerful canons of the Primatial stop, as Lords vigilante of Saint-Genis, that a market will be held every Tuesday of the week in the Castle (in castro Sancti Genesii vallis)."
In the year 1447, at the time where the local authority sought to get rid of feudalism, the inhabitants of Saint-Genis pitched a petition in which they expose themselves to their Lords ' du chastel is not wide enough, not enough for retirement eulx and their property in time of war, race or people of weapons or aultre passaige eminent danger, and that, on the occasion of what they had suffered.time spent, several large damage, losses and irreparable disadvantages, both of their people as their property, and more could do at the time happen is he did y was pourveu; "and for y pourveoir and order, disoyent that it their would be expedient and necessary to clorre and fortify walls the city or village of said place.
Lyon counties helped the inhabitants to the fortifications, on condition that he would be waived to temporal Lords and senior justice rights.
Like all the possessions of the chapter, Saint-Genis had a hills and an enclosure that destroyed the late-comers.
In the following century, these fortifications, of which there are a few remains were identified and even completed, like those of Sainte-Foy.
« November 1434, said Ogier, Saint-Genis was stormed by the Burgundians who occupied this position with the intention of multiply the troops who were later to take this city in the vicinity of Lyon »
During the wars of the League, the Duke of Nemours is camped with his army and may 25, 1592, he concluded a truce with Alfonso of Geeta, lieutenant of the King of Navarre in the Dauphiné.
The city walls were pierced with two doors, one to the North, one at noon.
"The Consulate in Lyon made pay, May 9, 1550, 14 livres tournois Salomon Bernard, painter, who had lifted the plan of Saint-Genis; This plan was lifted by order of Mr. Damours, Advisor to the grand Council, for use in the trial of the closed cities of Lyon who refused to contribute to the payment of the balances of people's war and in which the Consulate had been in question. "(Ogier)
In 1570, by article 8 of the edict of pacification published in Saint-Germain-en-Laye, the protestants were allowed to practise their religion publicly in Saint-Genis-Laval. But as it did not allow them to establish, they settled their preaching in la Guillotière.
Pope Clement V lived Laye Castle property of the Archbishop of 1305 and 1314. He fled the city for rest, said of the turmoil that caused it the accident of the Gourguillon in which twelve Lords of his entourage were crushed by the fall of a wall'.
The site of this castle was built a monastery Récollets, bequeathed religious by Ms. de Gadagne, on the sole condition that they would in perpetuity a service to the death of each county of Lyon. Marie de ' Medici, in 1622, called the recollets, number ten, in Lyon and lodged them in the street Saint-Barthélemy, in a cottage known as "Belle-strike." Their old room was sold in 1793, as a national asset.
On March 22, 1794, Saint-Genis-Laval received the title of capital of the district of Lyon campaign, and by a decree of the people's representatives, dated 4 nivôse year II, the municipality was called Genis-le-Patriot.
The municipal officers who had caused and obtained this name change added in their acknowledgements: "we made every effort to deserve this name and we can even lose their lives to keep."
But opinions change over time, and June 8, 1817, an armed band stood at Saint-Genis to restore the Empire. The unfortunate instigators of the riot were sentenced to the death penalty or deportation by the Provost Court of Lyon.
Of the old Castle, which belonged to the Gadagne, Lords of florentine origin, there is the terrace, the entrance door and a few traces of ditches. It is still a Gadagne, Thomas II, who owned the land of Beauregard, princely residence, which were received on 29 June 1564, King Charles IX, with his brother the Duke of Anjou, and, on 6 July, the King of Navarre, Henri IV, with the Queen-mother Catherine de Medici.
Beauregard was a strong House with justice in 1628, the castle became property of the family of the baron Fizicat, one of the victims of the terror.
On the last years of the Empire, it was sold in retail to individuals. Above the Castle, the engineering has built a strong modern.
Distance an astronomical observatory was built to common expenses by the city of Lyon and the State.
South of the town stood the castle called ' the Tower '. the owner, Mr. of the cube Tower, gave it Mr. Paris, provider of the armies of Louis XIV. It then passed into the hands of Mr. Mallion and Mr. Convert, was divided and sold in the early years of the 19th century.
In front of Beauregard, and across the road is the property of Longchene, at the monumental gates.
«Owned in the last two centuries by many consular families, it was only a leisure residence whose name recalls how these places have had to change aspect. '' This beautiful area is now to the administration of the hospices who received him in gift of the Empress Eugénie. It provides asylum to convalescents. »
Below Longchene was the fief of the Sarra whose owners were successively Mr. par de Senozan (1653); Dupuis (1671); François Poligny (1680); Pierre de du Bellay (1721); François Dupoizat (1729); Etienne Maindestre (1737). The marquis de Panigrahi, owner of Longchene, it was also the Sarra, in 1789. Even that small Perron, that of Maisonneuve was Lords Antoine Camus, Fabre du Vernay, Pierre de Bellay and de Maisonneuve. Those of la Motte, la Tour, Treasurer, glassware or the canopy were owned by the Lords of Mascrany (1622-1731), Jean-Baptiste Planelly (1746) and Christophe Larochette (1762-1789).
To the Southwest, on the plateau of Souzieu, stands the fort of the Lorette which belongs to the line of defence of Lyon.
The former stronghold of the same name had a chapel opened on some days. Its jurisdiction extended over some plots of Oullins.
Its owners were successively Mr Benaud (1716), François Bollioud de Chanzieu (1769) and the marquis de Gas (1862).
Source: Dictionary illustrated of the communes of the Department of the Rhone by Messrs. E. de Rolland and D. Clouzet
Crédit photo : Dominique Robert (Villa Chapuis, st genis laval)
Villa Chapuis, « Villa Chapuis » is a construction of the city of St genis laval (France, Rhone). Villa Chapuis, French Heritage monument to St genis laval st genis laval, rhone
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Description of this building by Dominique Robert :
Saint-Genis-Laval, villa Chapuis (aujourd'hui l'hôtel de ville)
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.