Priory to Anzy-le-Duc

State of the Priory of Anzy late 19th

The position of the Priory of Anzy is really admirable and justifies the enthusiasm of the anonymous monk, author of the life of saint Hugh. Matured at the end of a hill that juts northward in the form of promontory and encroach on the beautiful and and rich Valley of the Arconce, he sees at his feet a carpet always green and lively, formed by vast grasslands and ended, in the direction of its length, by the heights of Montceaux and Chassagne, on the left. Saint-Christophe, and Varennes, right.

The beautiful Romanesque church, we will soon discuss, first striking looks by his grace and his elevation which appears doubled, seen on the side of the Valley. On the eastern ridge of the nipple, and from North to South, were regular buildings, become a beautiful and spacious modern home. But it was keen to retain the large reception room with its 16th-century fireplace, decorated with frescos and gildings. A large courtyard is formed by this building to the East, the Church in the North and close to the South and West walls. The southwest corner rises again, in all its primitive purity, an elegant Square Tower was justice on behalf of the prior. The gateway, which is now in the West and the place where the captain Desprès had opened a wide gap in the walls, was previously at the noon, pressed against the tower which we have just discussed and used to protect it.

At this primitive door came directly lead a branch of road that ran from the Roman road indicated by Courtépée and the directories of Saône - et - Loire, in the direction of Semur to Avrilly.

Time and revolutions change everything. The old gate was walled up, suspended over a ravine, is no longer on the public highway, which has changed direction. It is still quite remarkable despite the impropriety of the drawing and the coarseness of execution. A hanger decorated with acanthus leaves frames the tympanum divided into three compartments. There are engraved on the stone, as the profession of faith of the inhabitants of the cloister: the original fall, redemption, the judgment. This is the abstract of all the Christian symbol. The fall represents Adam and Eve at the foot of the fatal tree. Right, they eat the fruit forbidden; on the left, they seek to cover their nakedness. Redemption is represented by the mystery of the vocation of the Gentiles, in the person of the Magi. The judgment is to him alone all the lower part of the tympanum. A monstrous snake seems to claim his prey. Souls are shown by little fellows who are weighed several together, raised Earth with a horizontally stretched rope. Each are received by the angels and directly saved. Others are sic tamen quasi per ignem, as expressed by saint Paul. These are those that pass through purgatory. They seem to be first tortured in all ways by the demons, then nevertheless reach heaven. Others, finally, are delivered to the demon for eternal fire. Exactly like writing the language of stone. The Catholic symbol changes point. At both ends, but outside the gloomy scene and the tympanum, one sees two Knights armed and on horseback, expressive figure of the present life. To get a fair idea of these interesting debris, which must go back to the 11th

Source: Blessed Hugh of Poitiers: the Priory, the Church and the paintings by François Cuchera 1862.

Historical details

The hamlet of Saint-Quentin, which occupies the top of a high mountain nearly to peak, and that depended on prior to 1861, the commune of Saint-Marcelin-de-Cray, formerly bore the name of Pierre-fixed. Seen in Perrard (CARTULARY of Cardiff) that, in 876, the Knight Letbald, founder of the Priory of Anzy-le-Duc, held in benefit of County Eccard, son of Childebrand, the land of Pierre-fixed, Petra-Fixa, not far from Mont-Saint-Vincent. The Church was equipped with this village was dedicated to Saint-Quentin. It is designated in the same CARTULARY under the name of Ecclesia Sancti-Quentini adpetram flxam. It was a stone limiting.

Source: Notes for cracking to the history of the Department of Saône-et-Loire by its monuments by Aimé Emmanuel Monnier 1873.

(Former) Priory
Crédit photo : ((Former) Priory, anzy le duc)


Heritage listed, historical monument, or having been under investigation

Structural information

(Former) Priory, The hamlet of Saint-Quentin, which occupies the top of a high mountain nearly to peak, and that depended on prior to 1861, the commune of Saint-Marcelin-de-Cray, formerly bore the name of Pierre-fixed. Seen in Perrard (CARTULARY of Cardiff) that, in 876, the Knight Letbald, founder of the Priory of Anzy-le-Duc, held in benefit of County Eccard, son of Childebrand, the land of Pierre-fixed, Petra-Fixa, not far from Mont-Saint-Vincent. The Church was equipped with this village was dedicated to Saint-Quentin. It is designated in the same CARTULARY under the name of Ecclesia Sancti-Quentini adpetram flxam. It was a stone limiting. anzy le duc, saone et loire

Location and general information

  • identifier : 118264
  • item : Prieuré (ancien)
  • Location of the building :
    • Bourgogne
    • Saône-et-Loire
    • Anzy-le-Duc
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 71011
  • Zip code of the municipality : 71110
  • Order in the communal list : 2
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : priory
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 5 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 12th century
    • 16th century
    • 4th quarter 16th century
    • 17th century
    • 1st quarter 17th century
  • Dates of protection :
    • 1922/05/04 : classé MH
    • 1992/01/30 : classé MH
  • Date taken into account : 1993/11/26

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Interest of the building : Classement 30 09 1942 (arrêté) et Inscription 04 11 1988 (arrêté) annulés ; Architecture clunisienne
  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :6 parts of the building are subject to protection and are listed as follows :
    • turn
    • portal
    • convent building
    • enclosure
    • port
    • building
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : property of a private person 1992
  • Detail :
    • Portail roman subsistant dans le mur de clôture méridional d' une ferme située au sud de l' église : classement par décret du 4 mai 1922
    • Ensemble des bâtiments de l' ancien prieuré (cad. H 77, 372) : classement par arrêté du 30 janvier 1992
  • Mérimée reference : PA00113070

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de pierre bastien est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Priory to Anzy-le-Duc. Picture of pierre bastien
Prieuré (ancien), anzy le duc
Priory to Anzy-le-Duc. Picture of pierre bastien
Prieuré (ancien), anzy le duc
Priory to Anzy-le-Duc. Picture of pierre bastien
Prieuré (ancien), anzy le duc
Priory to Anzy-le-Duc. Picture of pierre bastien
Prieuré (ancien), anzy le duc
Priory to Anzy-le-Duc. Picture of Utilisateur anonyme
Prieuré (ancien), anzy le duc
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.