Church from Clessé
Clessé is a village located 15 km north of Mâcon. It depended on the Bailiwick and the diocese of Mâcon, the Archpriest of Verizet and justice of the Abbey of Saint-Pierre de Mâcon; the prior of the Abbey was named the holder of the treatment. The CARTULARY of Saint - Vincent de Mâcon mentions several times this locality, as early as the 10th century, but it is question of the Church in any Charter. The Church was placed under the patronage of our Lady; It is well oriented. The directory of Saône-et-Loire from 1843, cites it as "remarkable mostly by its octagonal Bell Tower to the gemel windows of Romanesque style of the tenth century". A Cluniac Octagon Tower recognizes Mr. H. Pignot, in his history of the order of Cluny.
In 1096, urban II conﬁrmed to the prior and the community of Saint-Pierre of Mâcon, the right to appoint the parish churches to the patronage of Saint Peter; the Church of Clessé is included in the list.
It is a small church with a single nave ceiling, lit on each side by three redone windows, arches, which communicates with the crossing of the transept by a great arcade arches. The crossroads is vaulted by a dome on squinches; the great arcades which give entry all semicircular arch, unlined. The two braces, vaulted on cross of warheads, date from the end of the fifteenth and the beginning of the sixteenth century.
The crossing of the transept communicates with the choir flat chevet by arcade arches. The primitive choir ended probably in a round apse; It was remade on rectangular and arched ridges plan; It has no character.
Take away and consider the facade that has not been redesigned; It consists of a wall finished at the top in the shape of pinion. At the centre of the facade, on the ground floor, is pierced a door arches, doubled. At the top, in the gable, opens a small window arches that illuminates the attic. The rest of the façade is decorated by four frames composed of vertical strips that come together in their upper part with a series of arches in arches. It is a system of ornamentation often found in the churches of the Mâconnais and the Chalonnais; a provision quite rare, is one of a vertical band that descends above the door, in the middle of the full handlebar. We know that an another facade of church where this feature finds himself; This is a Saint-Martin de Laives, and in this last church the same feature is noticeable in the apse above the central window.
The side elevation divided outside the nave into three spans; each span is illuminated by a window arches, redesigned and separated from its neighbour by a flat, vertical band shaped buttress rising to join the roof cornice. This ridge, formed by a band of masonry is supported by carved modillions in a varied manner; grimacing heads, profiles of animals. The modillions which support the cornice of the northern wall are not carved.
We speak not of external elevation of braces or the small modern polygonal tower which contains the stairs of the Bell Tower, nor of the apse of the Church. Arrive at the Bell Tower.
The Bell Tower of the Church of Clessé is octagonal. The fallopian tubes in apse that transform the Octagon square are loaded in their upper part, outside, by small embankments of masonry two-slope.
There are two floors; the floor below, blind, is adorned on each side by two vertical strips that come together at the top by two arches in arches. A cornice of a very simple profile, separates the lower floor of the second floor, decorated on each side of a frame of vertical bands and arches in arches, four. In this framework, and under a slightly low-slung arched arcade which has jambs two balusters, opens a geminate Bay including median deposition is worn on a baluster, while external benefits are of simple jambs masonry. Above this floor is the corniche worn on each side by six modillions of a very simple profile; above these modillions, the cornice is composed by a simple cord of stone topped with a line of large-headed nails, then comes a quarter round molding that reaches the roof. Octagonal pyramid-shaped roof is covered with tiles; It is modern.
In sum, it is mostly outdoors which is interesting to the Church of Clessé, and particularly the Bell Tower built in excellent proportions. Although some details of the façade and the Interior of the Church we appear to belong to the end of the eleventh century, it seems difficult to trace the construction of the Bell Tower at a date as far away. Our opinion is that the Church of Clessé whose appearance is fairly homogeneous should belong at the beginning of the twelfth century.
Source: Memoirs of the Aedui society (1872)
Crédit photo : perrine (Church, clesse)
Church, Clessé is a village located 15 km north of Mâcon. It depended on the Bailiwick and the diocese of Mâcon, the Archpriest of Verizet and justice of the Abbey of Saint-Pierre de Mâcon; the prior of the Abbey was named the holder of the treatment. The CARTULARY of Saint - Vincent de Mâcon mentions several times this locality, as early as the 10th century, but it is question of the Church in any Charter. The Church was placed under the patronage of our Lady clesse, saone et loire
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.