Former insane asylum, French Heritage monument to Le mans
One would have with difficulty an idea of the state of the lunatics in the city of Mans such as it was formerly, that it is enough for me to say that they lived truths dungeons, that they were confused with prisoners, that they were connect and that they could not enter the hospital that after a stay more or less prolongs in the prison, or they were retained to be milked and to be prohibited.
These unhappy has been today in a beautiful private hospital built for a few years by the care of the departmental administration.
It is impossible to offer an ordinance of simpler construction, healthier and more favorable to the service, the monitoring and the wellbeing of the lunatics. In the west of the city of Mans, small a demilieue has, bathes by the small river of Huyne, on very-large squares closed walls, isolates from any dwelling, one built this establishment. The entry in is imposing, the buildings are precede by a large semicircular court entouree of a gallery, in the high center a building has two stages for the housing of the sisters, the treasurer, the linen room, pharmacy, the kitchens, the vault is there admirably well distribuee for a similar house.
Behind this first building, one built the hydraulic apparatus and the baths. The dwellings of the patients are laid out on the dimensions of these buildings and form two divisions, one for the men, the other for the women.
Each division is subdivided in four houses perpendicular to central constructions, parallels between them, separated by courses plantees, joined together by a covered gallery, the ground floors are intend has refectories, common rooms, rooms of work, and stages it above form the dormitories of twelve beds; these dormitories, reach a maximum, are lit by large bays of crossings, furnished with iron trellis-work.
Two of the districts, for the men and the other for the women, are lay out in cells has ground floor. The bays are fermees by crossings vitrees and a shutter. They open outwards by the gallery. The house of the doctor independent and is separated by the wall from the gardens, which it is enough to cross to be near the patients.
Mr. Doctor Etoc, high of Salpetriere, was names doctor as a chief of this open house in 1834. The knowledge, the activity, the zeal of this young doctor, answered of the excellent direction given has this beautiful establishment, which must comfort those which knew the deplorable state of the lunatics in the city of Mans. High in medicine second Mr. Etoc. A payment which given attributions of all the employees, and regulates all the services, was writes. A commission presidee by the prefect of the Sarthe, manages this house; a sparing receiver provides for the material needs for all the services. Three sisters of Charity, having has their orders of the male nurses and of the nurses, the care supervises directs give the patients. They are in charge with pharmacy, the kitchen, and cleanliness, and the conservation maintenance of law and order of clothing.
The male nurses receive the immediate orders of the doctor, who can suspend them their functions. The prefect orders the admission of the poor. The boarders must equipped with a certificate of doctor, noting their state of madness, aims by the mayor of the residence of the patient. The price of the pensions varies from 400,700 has 1200 FR.
Source: Mental diseases considerees under the reports/ratios medical By Etienne Esquirol
Ministry for the culture
Found in 1828, asylum is built according to the plan-type gives in 1818 per Hippolyte Lebas bases on the innovative theories of Doctor Esquirol.
Work of the architect Felix Delarue. Plan following a longitudinal axis occupies by a court of circulation including/understanding the building of administration and the services, and finishes by the vault.
Around the building are lay out the houses of the various classes of patients, separating the men and the women. Certain buildings preserve their installations of origin, in particular the wing of agitate and the amphitheatre of dissection.
Crédit photo : branddan (Former insane asylum, le mans)
Former insane asylum, Founded in 1828, the asylum is built according to the type map given in 1818 by Hippolyte Lebas based on the innovative theories of Dr. Esquirol. Work of the (...) Former insane asylum, French Heritage monument to Le mans le mans, sarthe
Men involved in this construction
- Delarue félix (in French) architecte
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.