Abbey Benedictine Sainte-Cécile, French Heritage monument to Solesmes
From 1399 1416 have, the prioress of Solesmes was control surface by Helie de Voude. character whose modesty equalized science. In 1408, Louis II, king de Sicile, duke of Anjou, count de Provence and of Maine, lord of Sand, wire given to the monastery of the sum of twenty books of (go that the prior was held to raise, each year, on its vassal, to then pour it in the hands of the collector of the royalties of the Sand seigniory; he still conceded another royalty, the whole with the load by the monks to celebrate each day a mass of requiem for this prince, after his death. Approximately twenty years after this foundation, the English porterent the devastation in the Sand vicinity; the prioress suffered largely in the middle of that torments; a fire lights by the enemies brought the pearl of a great number of its liters.
However about the year 1470, the monastery started has to be control surface by a series of priors of a rare merit, who reparerent as much as it was possible for them, misfortunes of the invasion, and enriched its church by these monuments.precieux which make its glory and that of the region. Philibert of the Cross, Mathieu of Soft and Guillaume Cheminart have leaves a memory which should not perish. It was Guillaume Cheminart who obtained the bastard one of Armagnac, Jean de Nemours, the charter which we will give. This lord, little known in the history, did not inherit the instincts depraves of his fathers, and supported the Church of all his capacity. The prioress of Solesmes felt more once effects of that benevolence, and the monks lemoignerent their recognition in various manners to him. Among the figures which compose the group of the burial of Christ, one believes with base, to recognize the features of Jean de Nemours, in the character who represents Joseph d' Arimalhie.
Source: Review of Anjou 1857.
The General Chapter of 1729 gave for successor has Dom Marc Theaud a monk names Dom Antoine Lalloue, which held only three years the load of Claustral Prior. Its mode is famous for the construction of the dome of the lantern in tuff which crowns still today the tower of the Church. This monument, built in the style of the time, and which does not miss certain elegance, carries inside an inscription thus conceived: In 1731, on April 17, under the reign of Louis XV. This stone was posee by the Reverend Pere Dom A.T. Lalo?e, prior. Jean Dubois, prosecutor-cellerier. Contractor, Bodriller.
Source: Historical test on the abbey of Solesmes by Prosper Louis P. Gueranger
Gueranger, Dom Prosper-lolis-Pascal. - Does not have Sand-surSarthe, on April 6, 1805, Mr. Prosper Gueranger embraced the ecclesiastical state early; order priest, it became private secretary of Monseigneur of Myre, bishop of Mans, which affectionnait it much. Extremely of its good elude and pushes by a great love of work, it constituted the restorer about the Benedictines of France; and on July 11, 1833 took, as we said, possession of the antique monastery of Solesmes, of which he was prior during four years; second, for this noble company, by nine monks dedicate to the rule of Benoit saint. About on September 1, 1837, it accepted the title of abbot, when this date has, the prioress of Solesmes was high with the row of abbey, by a brief of Gregoire XVI.
Dom Gueranger, writer religious, moralist, hard like all those of this Kind, are author of several works regards, with the number of which we will quote especially:
- election and the Nomination of the Bishops, 1 vol. in-8?;
- Origins of the Roman Church, 1 vol. in-4?;
- Liturgical institutions, 3 vol. in-8?;
- Test on the contemporary Naturalism, 1 vol. in8?;
- History of holy Cecile, 1 vol. in-12;
- the Liturgical year, 12 vol. in-12
Name, by worthy Pie IX, member of the Company of the Rites, our scientist abbot of Solesmes is still advantageously reveals by booklets, articles, in the reviews, the newspapers, on various religious questions.
Source: Complete history of the province of Maine, since times more move back by A. Lepelletier of the Sarthe
Ministry for the culture
- Building built between 1866 and 1870 by the Duvetre architect. Painting and sculpture go back to this time.
- Between 1881 and 1891, extension carried out by the architect Pascal Truth: addition of one 2nd cloister, the chorus of the moniales, and a visiting room.
- Workshop and crypt built about 1892 of a polygonal arrow and installs out of micaceous chalk cuts
- nave and choruses ribbed vaults
- sacristy, chapter house, corridor and refectory ribbed vaults
- galleries of the large cloister voutees in segmentary cradle
- crypt voutee of edges
- galleries of the small cloister voutees of edges and in segmentary cradle, covered in terrace
Crédit photo : AIZAIR (Abbey Benedictine Sainte-Cécile, solesmes)
Abbey Benedictine Sainte-Cécile, Bell Tower surmounted by a polygonal Spire and sailed in tufo size; nave and choir vaults of warheads; sacristy, Chapter House, Hall and refectory vaults of (...) Abbey Benedictine Sainte-Cécile, French Heritage monument to Solesmes solesmes, sarthe
Men involved in this construction
- Vérité pascal (in French) architecte
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Description of this building by AIZAIR :
Note du webmaster : vue de l'abbaye Sainte Cécile
Abbaye de Bénédictines Sainte-Cécile, solesmes
Description of this building by AIZAIR :
Note du webmaster : vue de l'abbaye St Pierre de Solesmes
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.