Castle of la Batie, French Heritage monument to Barby

Built Seyssel

As its name indicates it, this castle, locates at the doors of Chamb?ry, on the commune of Barby, was built by Seyssel. Hugues de Seyssel was entitled lord of Batie year 1302 and passed this stronghold has his children. With the extinction of the direct descent of this Hugues,

Built returned to the elder branch of Seyssel. The feudal rights extended on Boisserette, Cruennaz, Barby, Ravoire, Abba and Tournet-Villars de Chignin. The chief of the branch of the barons d' Aix was generally lord of Batie; this stronghold was however the property of Pierre, bastard of Aix, natural brother of Claude, marshal of Savoy. It was him which made build the large tower known as of the Organ, as indicates it an inscription which is seen still today.

To the extinction of the elder branch of Seyssel, Built passed, by heritage of Francoise de Seyssel, baroness of Aix, has Charles de Seyssel it Chambre, then has Fran?ois and with the descent of this last. It was one of the inalienable seigniories of the house of Seyssel with Aix, Chatillon and Meillonnaz.

By title of July 17, 1592, Charles-Emmanuel de Seyssel, marquis d' Aix, gave up Built in douaire has Isabeau of the Rock-Andry, his mother. Louis, marquis d' Aix, was then lord of this stronghold and passed it has his/her Maurice son. With died of this last, in 1660, Built to its succession so much contestee belonged. Estimee with the sum of 84,140 guilders in 1670, this seigniory was adjugee with the marquis de Coudree, but it had already been diminuee of the jurisdictions of Thoiry and of Puisgros sold, with a revenue riere Saint-Jean-in Arvey, has Reverend Guillaume d' Oncieu, archdeacon of the Ste Chapelle of Savoy, in September 1668. It was Marie-Joseph d' Allinges, marquis de Coudree, who, on July 1, 1670, sold Built has Fran?ois d' Oncieu, baron de Saint-Denis.

For this time, the castle, the ground and the seigniory of Batie have been remainders at of Oncieu. In 1783, Victor-Amedee III set up this stronghold in marquisat in favour of Guillaume d' Oncieu, wire of Francois, marquis de Chaffardon. He gave of it the nomination on December 15, 1783 (Summary Strongholds).

The castle, which is today the property of the count Eugene d' Oncieu of Batie, is a beautiful specimen of Gothic architecture.

Characters imply

HUGUES or HUGON OF SEYSSEL, knight, lord of Built. End of XIIIe and beginning of XIVe century.

AYMARD OF SEYSSEL, knight, lord of Built, lord of the manor of Contege, Saillon, Entremonts and Sasson. XIVe century.

AYMARD II OF SEYSSEL, lord of Built, lord of the manor of Evian and Feterne. Second half of XIVe century.

GUIGONNE OF SEYSSEL, which married, on January 30, 1378 HUGUES or HUGONARD AMBLARD, wire of Guigues Amblard, lord of Chignin, and Genette of Poype. It remaria, before I380, with JACQUES Of the BALME, lord of Apremont (note: It is rather curious to see this Guigonne taking his two husbands in the families of the adversaries of her father and his grandfather)

Thus this branch finishes. Most of its goods passerent with the lords of Aix who releverent the title of lords of Built-Seyssel.

Oncieu

There are two Oncieu in Bugey, one at Saint-Rambert and the other at Nattages. One and the other belonged to the house of this name. Year 1200, this house existed in Bugey or it had, a little later the stronghold of Dover at Amberieu. Montiernoz, Saint-Aubin, Lugny, Mentonay also belonged has this family which is currently representee in Savoy by two branches, that of the marquis d' Oncieu of Batie and that of the marquis d' Oncieu de Chaffardon.

The houses of Francheleins, the Fen, of Dover, of Balme, the Balsam, Chandee, Chatillon, Montchenu, Viry, Bonnivard, Carron, Lescheraine, Andelot, Chacipol, Forest, Champier, Maillard de Tournon, Costa de Beauregard, etc, are allierent has this very famous family. Many are the illustrations of Oncieu, as well in Bugey as into Dauphine and Savoy. A member of this house exerted, with the greatest distinction, the load of president of the Room of the accounts of Savoy.

of gold, has three rafters of mouths

Boson of Oncieux was pilot, in 1160, of a made concession has Saint-Sulpice by the lords of Grammont.

Guy d' Oncieux, knight, lived in 1200. Pierre d' Oncieux continued the descent possessionnee has Dover and Dyenne by marriage, about 1300, of Guillaume d' Oncieux, knight, with Marguerite, girl and heiress of Girard of Dover. Etienne d' Oncieux obtained, of the abbots of Ambronay, recognition of his rights in all justice on the men of his stronghold which it made limit, on August 20, 1358, with Saint-Germain d' Amberieu. Guigonnet d' Oncieu, knight, accepted in 1350, the seigniory of Montiernoz which brought to him, in dowry, the girl of Josserand de Montiernoz. Charles d' Oncieux, rider, were, in 1549, lord, of the known as place of Montiernoz, Saint-Aubin, Mentonay, and of Doyau. Claude d' Oncieux, brother of Charles, were, in 1600, canon of Mason and count of the Church of Lyon, which went, August 1601, contracting of Doyau at the cost of 2,805 pounds (reg. of the Parliament of Dombes).

The elder branch had been established into Dauphine, by Pierre, wire of Jean, wire of Guillaume d' Oncieux and was perpetuee has Diemoz after the marriage of known as Pierre with Berlionne de Palamin: it finished, into 4.680, by Catherine d' Oncieux, married has Jean de Menze, lord of Sarcenas.

Of Oncieu are still represent by the marquis d' Oncieu de Chaffardon and by the marquis d' Oncieu of Batie.

Sources:

  • Titrate: The house of Seyssel its origins, its genealogy, its history
  • Author: Seyssel-Cressieu, Marc of (1861-1922)
  • Editor: To combine brothers (Grenoble)
  • Go back to edition: 1900
  • Titrate: Historical Armorial of Bresse, Bugey, Dombes, Country of Gex, Valromey and Franc-Lyonese, according to work of Guichenon, Hozier
  • Author: Reverend of Mesnil, Edmond (1832-18.)
  • Editor: impr. of A. Vingtrinier (Lyon)
  • Go back to edition: 1872

Castle of la Batie
Crédit photo : (Castle of la Batie, barby)


Heritage listed, historical monument, or having been under investigation

Structural information

Castle of la Batie, « Castle of la Batie » is a construction of the city of Barby (France, Savoie). Castle of la Batie, French Heritage monument to Barby barby, savoie

Location and general information

  • identifier : 120309
  • item : Château de la Batie
  • Location of the building :
    • Rhône-Alpes
    • Barby
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 73030
  • Zip code of the municipality : 73230
  • Order in the communal list : 1
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : castle
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 2 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • Gallo-Roman
    • 13th century
  • Date of protection : 1972/04/06 : inscrit MH partiellement
  • Date taken into account : 1993/12/03

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • The decor consists of 'mosaic'
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :7 parts of the building are subject to protection and are listed as follows :
    • fireplace
    • elevation
    • roofing
    • interior
    • show
    • terrace
    • path
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : property of a private person 1992
  • Detail :
    • Les façades et toitures
    • la grande terrasse
    • la salle basse (actuellement grand salon) avec son décor
    • la grande cheminée de la salle des gardes y compris la mosaïque gallo-romaine qui y a été rapportée (cad. 147) : inscription par arrêté du 6 avril 1972
  • Mérimée reference : PA00118193

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Estelle says of the history of this building :

J'ai eu la chance de rencontrer le marquis d'oncieu de la Batie quand j'étais petite. C'était un grand marcheur. Tôt le matin il se trouvait à pied sur la route qui monte de saint alban leysse au château en passant par les Corniolles. Ma maman était infirmière de nuit et rentrait de son travail aux alentours de 7h du matin. Nombre de fois elle a croisé le Marquis, et l'a pris en "auto-stop".

Pour la remercier, un jour, il a proposé à ma maman de lui faire visiter le château. Je me souviens de ce jour là. J'avais une dizaine d'année.

Nous avons visité le RDC seulement. L'étage étant revervé aux appartements personnels de la famille. Le château est une propriété privée. Je me souviens de la cuisine qui n'a aucune commune mesure avec nos cuisine d'aujourd'hui ! Une grande pièce, aussi grande que mon F2 d'aujourd'hui je pense ! Il y a une cheminée assez grande pour faire rôtir un boeuf entier !!! Et je me souviens aussi des toiles d'araignées aux fenêtres ! Et puis il y a le grand salon en parquets, immense, avec de grand tableaux aux murs. De quoi organiser de jolis bals.

Puis nous avons visité la chapelle avec de magnifiques vitraux. Il y aussi la tour demi-cylindrique. Nous n'avons, malheureusement pas pu grimper au sommet, l'escalier étant en mauvais état et dangereux. Le marquis nous expliqua que la tour était demi-cylindrique pour gagner à la construction mais faire l'effet d'une vraie tour aux yeux des potentiels assaillants venant de la vallée de Chambéry.

Le reste du château, la grande terrasse et la petite en contre-bas, le chemin qui fait le tour du château, les deux fermes qui l'ensserrent, la petite chapelle, le jardin sous les remparts, le portail (qui nous servait de promontoire et de cachette lors de nos innombrables batailles de marrons ramassés dans l'allée bordée d'arbres multis centenaires certainement), les prés aux vaches et les sous-terrains qui descendent vers la Leysse...je connais tout par coeur, ils étaient mon terrain de jeu.

J'aimais particulièrement grimper sur le mur d'enceinte à l'entrée du château, m'asseoir contre la boule de pierre qui surplombe le portail et rester là des heures à regarder les voitures descendre de Curienne.

Un des poteaux du portail à été récemment détruit lors d'une coupe de bois. Il a été reconstruit il y a quelques semaines. La maison de mes parents fait face à l'entrée du château et personnellement je trouve la reconstruction pas très bien faite, en tout cas ça se voit. J'aime ce château comme si c'était le mien.

Et j'ai toujours dit depuis l'enfance, que si je gagnais au loto j'achèterai le château !!!

Estelle

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Photo de webmaster est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Castle of la Batie, French Heritage monument to Barby. Picture of webmaster
Château de la Batie, barby
Castle of la Batie, French Heritage monument to Barby. Picture of webmaster
Château de la Batie, barby
Castle of la Batie, French Heritage monument to Barby. Picture of aba
Château de la Batie, barby
aba says of the history of this building :

Bonjour... Je suis la maman d'Estelle, je vous passe une jolie photo du château de la bastie que je photographie régulièrement par tous les temps.

Sur celle-ci ne dirait-on pas le Château de la belle au bois dormant sorti de la brume ?

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.


source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.