Former prison, French Heritage monument to Coulommiers
The sly little minx teaches us that the old prison in the shape of church, to recall the prisoners, known as one, that they owed expier their faults, was reamenagee since in public library, it also teaches us that it is isolee on an island.
The ministry for the culture teaches him to us that this prison commencee in 1851 within Mangeon, and criterion of the ministerial circular of 1841 (cellular system or individual imprisonment) is utilisee like prison until 1958.
This assertion, at the very least humorous or curious concerning the atonement about the prisoners is confirmee by the historical Note on the town of Coulommiers publiee into 1829 which in east can be it same the source.
Historical note on the town of Coulommiers
For sixty years, it east has taken place successively great changes in this city, and they all are with the advantage of its healthiness and the regularity of its streets. Pits filled with water which, girded it since the mill of the arch to the arm of river which runs close the postern, were roofs; walks plantees of trees have replaces these wet ponds, of or were exhaled, during the autumn, of pestilential miasmas which made the fevers intermittent endemic in this city; the supported action, though slow, of the great roadway system, widened and aligns the narrow and tortuous streets whose the historian speaks about the department of Seine-et-Marne.
On the remains of the church of Holy-Faith rose gracious gardens, whose vegetation cleanses the air; and in the buildings of the prioress, one joined together the civil court, grafts it, the barracks of the gendarmes and the prison; few small towns have a courtroom more elegant and better distribuee and enlightened.
The rooms of the prisoners, placees above the courtroom, healthy, are aired, and they enjoy there a wide sight on the countryside. Courses roomy offer to the prisoners clean places has to take exercise, effective means of maintaining health at the unhappy ones deprive of their freedom.
A vault served by a vicar of the city, brings together every Sunday the prisoners of the two sexes; one known as a low mass, followed by an exhortation which has sometimes bears fruit there, while bringing back has religious principles misfortunes which had forget them.
Crédit photo : Daniel (Former prison, coulommiers)
Former prison, Prison begun in 1851 on the Mahallick plans, architect of the Department and according to the criteria of the ministerial circular of 1841 (cellular system or (...) Former prison, French Heritage monument to Coulommiers coulommiers, seine et marne
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.