Said garden park of the castle of Paroy, French Heritage monument to Paroy

Seeking everywhere traces of armorial bearings and signs of feudality, the police chiefs responsibilities of disarm the Noble ones ordered especially destruction in the castles or they did not meet the owners. On the flax of 1793, it came to the castle from Paroy, in the district of Layered branches, which, in the absence of the marquis de Paroy, made burn all its titles and papers, made insert and to break its portraits of family decorate with cross and large cords, to remove the roofs of the turns finally, because they '' wounded the equality ''.

Source: The nobility of France and the public opinion to the XVIII E century by Henri Square.

The family of Paroy had as a patronymic name the Nice one. She was originating in Brittany, and Lachesnaye-Desbois gives filiation of it since the fourteenth century. The grandfather of our chronicler was general police chief of the marine. The father, Guy the Nice one, on May 30, 1728, does not deserve that we briefly tell his life. He married, on September 15, 1749, Louise-Elisabeth de Rigaud of Vaudreuil, girl of the count Louis-Philippe de Vaudreuil, general lieutenant of the naval armies and Grand Cross of Saint-Louis, and acquired by this marriage of great properties has Saint-Domingue. He entered, next on November 23, like second ensign with the regiment of the French guards. On October 23, 1752, Guy the Nice receipt ground of Paroy, situee in Brie, close to Donnemarie in Mons. It obtained, in November 1754, the erection of this ground in marquisat, and the royal letters patent carried that this favour was accordee with the recipient in consideration of the services and the nobility of its family, one of oldest of the province of Brittany. Guy the Nice one took consequently the title of marquis de Paroy. He made demolish the old castle and built nine of them on the same site.

First teaches since September 2, 1753, the new marquis was promoted second lieutenant on March 30, 1760 and accepted, on May 19, 1763, the cross of Saint-Louis.

On March 12, 1766, he became large baillif of sword of the `cities and count de Provins and of Montereau-is necessary-Yonne and lieutenant for the king of the provinces of Brie and Champagne. He gave then, next on April 27, his resignation of sound-lieutenant. He represented the nobility of Direction at the assembly of notable of 1788 and chaired that of Layered branches and Montereau, on March 16, 1789. He was elected, the 27 of the same month, deputy of the nobility of the bailliage of Layered branches to the General states.

Louis sixteen reading his will has
Mr. de Lamoignon de Malesherbes
its defender

Jean Philippe Guy the Nice one
Count de Paroy
(1750-1824; engraver).
Draughtsman of the model.

Burning royalist and opposes to the novel ideas, the marquis de Paroy defended the king during the days of October 5, 1789. He did not take part, moreover, that little time to work of the constituent Assembly; he asked and obtained ore basket on April 13, 1790, gave his resignation in May 1791 and was replaces the 17 of this month by a substitute, the farmer Billy, Layered branches. He emigrated and went to find has Worms the princes in August 1791. He placed at the disposal of prince de Conde, who organized his army, the sum of 24,916 pounds, of which this one gave him received on August 22. The count of Provence appointed it governor of Santo Domingo. The marquis left to go has his station, but it passed by Paris and announced the new one has his son. This one advised to him to make confirm its mission by the king and to require an audience on this subject has Louis XVI. The audience took place, but the king refused to hear the pseudo-governor, who took ore basket and turned over has Coblentz. The marquis did not delay has to return has Paris, or it is established street of the Mills in his daughter the marchioness of Mortagne. It frequently went to the castle of Tileries and was the August 10 day before there. Return at his place the 9 at the evening, it could not, the following day, to join the defenders of the royal family. The active role which his/her son had cheek in this famous day forced it has to move away from the capital.

It left Paris, on September 7, 1792, with his wife by the water stage coach of Montereau to go in its ground of Paroy. It unloaded has Melun and was made lead has Fontainebleau. his wife being tombee sick, it accepted a housing in a doctor names Dacis and rented then a small house. His/her son, obliges to flee, joined it; with the news?execution of the king, the marquis solved to go has Bordeaux, of or it would embark for Saint-Domingue. It left with his son the morning January 22, and both arriverent has Bordeaux the 29. It found his son-in-law there the Viscount of Hamel and its daughter. The embargo laid on the ships, because of the declaration of war with England, prevented the realization of its projects of voyage.

Decree on June 25, 1793 with his/her son and locks up with the castle of Extremely-Louis, it was freed after eleven days of imprisonment. This adventure engaged it has to follow has Castetz, large borough locates on the Garonne, has ten miles of Bordeaux, its son-in-law and his daughter, which had a very old castle there. It was not a long time quiet there; The Viscount of Hamel, denounces, was stopped on September 30, 1793, and the marquis had the same fate next on October 30 and was led to Reole. He undergoes, on January 21, 1794, a interrogation, and its answers show a great presence of mind, if one judges some by this one:

'' Which is one, your opinion asked him on the death of the tyrant? '' '' It does not belong, answered it, has an individual to emit his opinion when the wish of the nation is manifest by the body of its representatives; it must be subjected has its decrees. ''

The following day January 22 it was embarked has six hours of the morning on a large boat of station with sixteen of his companions. They arriverent has Bordeaux the 23 has seven hours of the evening and were led in a large dungeon, locates at the top of a tower and which one reached by a winding staircase having more than one hundred steps.

The marquis de Paroy remained thirty-seven days in this place or reigned a nauseous odor and was finally, thanks to the steps of his son, transfers, on February 27, with the Small Seminar. Freed on March 22, 1794, it left Bordeaux on April 1 and arrived the 2 has Castetz, or his/her daughter and her son-in-law, deliver on April 29, joined it. He solicited administrators of Seine-et-Marne then his radiation and that of his son of the list of the emigrants.

'' I as request from you, citizens, wrote it, to consider as we do not deserve to be milked in suspect people, nor as enemies of the Republic. Neither me, neither none the miens naps left its territory, neither enter any function nor intrigue. We subjected ourselves has all the decrees of Convention; we made in favour of the Revolution all the sacrifices that our faculties could allow us, considering it regrettable that the loss entiere of my fortune removed me the means of making some larger. We do not have cease and we do not cease making sincere wishes for the prosperity and the glory of the Republic and the destruction of its enemies. ''

It is seen, the marquis knew with the need to play the republican. He obtained by deliberation of the district of Layered branches on 1st vendemiaire year III (September 22, 1794) his radiation of the list of the emigrants. With this news, he thought has to return in his hearths. Income has Bordeaux on December 22, 1794, it did not leave this city that on February 28, 1795 to join has Fontainebleau his Wife, who had just left prison. He lived quiet, without having dream has to make sanction his provisional radiation, when the decrees of 18 and 19 Fructidor year VI (September 4, 1797) proscribed all the emigrants. Thanks to its old and with the steps of his son near the Minister for the Sotin police force, it obtained to remain in monitoring has Fontainebleau. The 20 floreal year VIII (May 10, 1800), it claimed near the prefect of Seine-et-Marne his final radiation of the list of the emigrants, whom granted to him finally, 13 Frimaire year X (December 4, 1801), a decree of the consuls).

The marquis de Paroy lost on March 21, 1803 his wife, deceased has Fontainebleau. He withdrew himself then in his ground of Paroy with his grandson next on April 10.

He undoubtedly returned to spend the winter has Fontainebleau, because it is in this city that he died, on May 24, 1807, street of the Hillocks, n? 310, with old seventy-nine years.

Source: Memories of the count de Paroy: memories of a defender of the royal family during the revolution (1789-1797) publish by Etienne Charavay

Said garden park of the castle of Paroy
Crédit photo : (Said garden park of the castle of Paroy, paroy)

Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

Said garden park of the castle of Paroy, « Said garden park of the castle of Paroy » is a construction of the city of Paroy (France, Seine et marne). Said garden park of the castle of Paroy, French Heritage monument to Paroy paroy, seine et marne

Location and general information

  • identifier : 155231
  • item : Jardin d'agrément dit parc du château de Paroy
  • Location of the building :
    • Ile-de-France
    • Seine-et-Marne
    • Paroy
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 77355
  • Zip code of the municipality : 77520
  • Order in the communal list : 1
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : garden
  • State :
    • current state of the monument : destroyed

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 2 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 18th century
    • 3rd quarter 18th century
  • Year : 1760
  • Investigation : 1996
  • Date taken into account : 2003/07/31

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • Plan Type 'regular garden'

Monument and history of the place

  • Interest of the building : Cote boîte Environnement 084D
  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • a constituent part in this construction : moat
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.


  • Other :
    • other Information : private property
  • Involved in the work : Gentil Guy le (commanditaire)Sachot (commanditaire)
  • Author of the survey MH : Collette Florence
  • Mérimée reference : IA77000056

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de doulce_france est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Description of this building by doulce_france :

Petite gravure tirée du "Guide du voyageur en France" édité dans la première moitié du 19° siècle.

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Said garden park of the castle of Paroy, French Heritage monument to Paroy. Picture of doulce_france
Jardin d'agrément dit parc du château de Paroy, paroy

source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.