Tournan en brie
The town of Tournan, situee in a valley on the road of Paris has Sezanne, is crossed by a brook which comes from wood which is in north and finishes has a half mile approximately with the mill of Villeginare, commune of Presles, in a pit places under the wheel of the same mill.
It is claimed that this name of Tournan comes from the Celtic word turn or torn which one is unaware of the true significance, which would make suppose that the origin of this place goes back to highest antiquity, though nothing besides notes it, public wars and calamities having made perish all the authentic parts which could give some lights in this respect.
In the old acts, Tournan east indicates under the names of Turnihamus; later one wrote Turnomium, Turnoacum, Tornemium, and sometimes Tornomium, and in French Tornan, Tornen or Tornam, then Tournon and sometimes Tournehem.
If one must refer oneself some has an old tradition, the ground of Tournan would come from the ancestors from Holy-Fare, abbess of the diocese of Meaux. This one would have established a monastery in this place, colony of that of third Farmou; but the nuns abandonnerent it during the invasion of Norman in the IX E century.
The bishop of Paris having withdraws the goods of this convent whose hands etrangeres were emparees, became the first lord about it and establishes there canons, who do not resterent there a long time since we see that in 1088, Guy of Vitry and Havise his wife donnerent, of the assent of the canons to the monks of Saint-Maur the church of Saint-Denis de Tournan.
This church of Saint-Denis in the old castle in the occident of the city, is a building of the XIII E century or beginning of the XIV E which does not have anything remarkable; one sees there a tomb of the XII E century.
The prior of Saint-Denis enjoyed rather considerable prerogatives. In 1192, Anseau de Garlande, II E of the name, lord of Tournan, had recognized that the monks had any justice in its grounds, that those which remained on these same grounds did not owe him of drudgeries nor were not held to grind has its mill; finally that it could not be established any school in the parish of Tournan without the permission of the prior.
The church of Madelaine built before the XI E century was the only parish of Tournan, the church of Saint-Denis was used only to the monks as Saint-Maur to make the divine office; and, as Madelaine was subjected to them, they did not allow only one differently it regardat than like a vault.
This church was destroyed with the revolution, and the worship is exerted now in the Saint-Denis church.
The bishops of Paris always have preserves some rights on the seigniory of Tournan. It was them which gave the nomination to the new lord while putting to him at the finger a ring; right which was to them confirms by a charter of Philippe-Auguste given has Paris in March 1185, and the lord of Tournan had the singuliere prerogative to be one of those which carried the new bishop has his entry with the episcopal seat.
The most former lord of Tournan which one is informed is Guy or Guillaume of Vitry. He lived in 1088; his/her Manasses son succeeded to him, and Guy, his grandson, wanting to undertake the voyage from Palestine, sold, in 1147, the ground of Tournan has Guy de Garlande.
The house of Garlande had this ground under seven lords until 1293; it is:
- Guy de Garlande who still lived in 1186;
- Ansean de Garlande Ier of which one for no reason;
- Anseau de Garlande II which lived in 1192;
- Robert de Garlande.
- Anseau de Garlande III of 1246 until 1255.
- Jean de Garlande brother of this lord, having paid homage to the bishop of Paris for the portion which it had in the seigniory of Tournan, the prelate wanted to give him the nomination of it while putting to him between the hands a stick or a straw. But Jean did not want to accept it saying that he wanted to be put in possession by the reception of a gold ring, which the bishop refused to do then.
- Anseau de Garlande IV, about 1257 until in 1287 or it died without posterity.
- Jean de Garlande, his nephew, succeeded to him, and it was of him that Pierre Chambly, knight, acquired, in 1293, according to a covered act of the seal of the bishop of Paris and those of the abbots of Lagny and Saint-Maur, parties concerned, the chatellenie and town of Tournan and the seigniories of Marie, Fontenay, Favieres and Conches.
The ground of Tournan was then demembree, and the Lebeuf abbot thinks that Pierre de Chambly has it little by little transportee has Charles, count de Valois, third wire of Philippe-the-Bold and father of Philippe de Valois who gave it with the chatellenie in 1343 has Jean, his oldest son, duke of Normandy. This ground was successively possedee by several other lords.
- In 1350, Odard de Renti engaged has to keep for the king the castle of Tourneham.
- In 1446, Charles VI fact gift of the ground of Tournan has Andry de Cassai known as Lombard. In 1467, Louis XI assigns of it the harbour office and the income has Charles Dubuz, rider of ecuyrie of the king.
- In 1029, Fran?ois Ier gives has Fran?ois d' Escars, lord of Vauguyon, Tournan and other grounds in ground place has belonging to him that it had cedees for the king with the emperor Charles-Quint. According to the draft of August 5, 1528.
- In 1562, Nicolas Durand de Villegagnon, enjoyed the seigneuriaux rights of this ground.
- In 1584, the ground of Tournan was committed to the count de Lignis, then has Nicolas Lesueur.
- In 1639, it was sold has Jean-Louis of Valette, duke of Epernon.
- In 1641, Michel Arhoult became owner about it.
- In 1270, Tournan was a place considered for coal; the voyer of Paris then had the right to take two bags each walk in the number of those which one brought there.
The town of Tournan is rather well built; it consists, so to speak, only in one long street with large of houses around the church. The place of walk the only one of the not very roomy east city. The district of Madelaine is separated by the brook which one names glacis and which Your cross-piece on a bridge.
It is held has Tournan Monday and Thursday of each week a walk rather strong in food products, but in which one sells little corn. In 1669, Henry de Beringhen, first rider of the king, lord of Tournan, obtained letters patent for the establishment of this walk and two fairs per annum.
The remainders of the old castle do not consist any more that in two turrets in ruins, and one has builds on one of the doors of modern constructions. It is in this room that the municipal assemblies and the audiences are held of the Justice of the Peace.
There was also has Tournan a Hospital which remained of the time of Saint-Louis and a maladrery which was joined together thereafter has this Hospital. Maintaining the helps are manage has residence with the poor ones.
Tournan was before the revolution the seat of a royal justice, a prevote and a chatellenie; this city is today the chief town of a canton, the seat of a district court and the residence of a gendarmerie squad.
Tournan has several variations, it are:
- Combreux, castle locates at the south-east of Tournan. It is claimed that this name comes from combos; it is known that Facere combros meant to cut down trees and to cover the way with it. XII E century there is one Gervais-of-Combreux: in 1268 Pierre-of-Combreux was chosen by Anseau de Garlande, lord of Tournan, it to replace in the honor to carry the new bishop of Paris, Etienne Tempier, has his first entry in the episcopal city. This seigniory concerned the lord of Haddocks, commune of Neufmoutier.
The castle of Combreux was lately rebuilt; it dominates a pretty small valley; its park is cross-piece by the brook which separate the town of Tournan of the district of Madelaine.
- Armainv1lliers who is also names Ermainvilliers, and Hermainvilliers, Hermani villare, countryside of Hermann, is a castle locates at the west of Tournan, with a park which contains a considerable pond.
Left-handed person-of-Chatel was lord in 1380.
In 1704, Jacques-Louis de Beringhen, first rider of the king, in which the family was originating in the duchy of Gueldre, obtained letters patent which set up in title of count under the name of Armainvilliers the grounds of Hermainvilliers, Tournan, Chatres, Marles, Gretz and others.
- Bourgognerie, another stronghold in south-east.
- Courcelles Mote in the east, on the roadside of Tournan to the Holly-plantation.
- City, Mocquesouris in the North-East, etc etc
The population of Tournan is of 1,800 inhabitants.
This city is situee has seven miles in the north of Melun; its territory is out of arable lands, meadows and wood.
Source: Topographic, political, physical history and statistics of the department of the Seine and Marne per E.H. Felix Pascal 1836.
tournan en brie, French city Department of seine et marne with 3 historical sites listed or simply studied for their remarkable character.
Our database currently includes 3 elements for heritage tournan en brie. You will find the menu and footer links leading you on the description sheets.
There are 9 localities (Place called, location known as) in Tournan en brie : la boulaye ; les jarrys ; champrose ; combreux ; la bourgognerie ; le closeau de courcelles ; les ecuries de la rosiere ; les justices de ville ; lycee clement ader.
listed building (classified and protected) in Tournan en brie
Monument in Tournan en brie, Tournan en brie has 1 building protected. Include :
- official reference : PA00087298
Places of Culture
Librarie tournan en brie, tournan en brie has 1 Librarie :
- bibliotheque municipale (15 place edmond de rothschild 77220 tournan en brie)
Statistics for Tournan en brieTown or city : tournan en brie
Postcode of city : 77220
Insee code : 77470
Latitude : 48.746149
place called : 9
alley : 7
avenue : 3
boulevard : 2
path : 6
hamlet : 3
dead : 5
place : 4
roundabout : 1
route : 6
st : 80
lane : 1
path : 1
square : 1
« Park of the castle of Combreux » is a construction of the city of Tournan en brie (France, Seine et marne). Park of the castle of Combreux, French Heritage monument to Tournan en brie
City Hall, French Heritage monument to Tournan en brie 1
« City Hall » is a construction of the city of Tournan en brie (France, Seine et marne). City Hall, French Heritage monument to Tournan en brie
Park and Castle of Armainvilliers hunting park, French Heritage monument to Tournan en brie 3
« Park and Castle of Armainvilliers hunting park » is a construction of the city of Tournan en brie (France, Seine et marne). Park and Castle of Armainvilliers hunting park, French Heritage monument to Tournan en brie