Parish Church St. Martin, French Heritage monument to Harfleur
In 1035, Robert II renders the Church at the Abbey of Montivilliers. An altar, a stone bench and a wall belonging to the Church, are discovered in 1861. In 1370, Jean Loiselet founded a chapel Notre-Dame de Metellet. The current church was built at the end of the 15th century (gate and Tower) and at the beginning of the 16th century (chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Pitié founded in 1514 by Isabelle Guillard). In 1477, Guillaume Lefrancq is master Mason of the Church. The Western Portal is built in 1630 by Jean Mason master Lebosqué in le Havre, with the coat of arms of the city and the Abbey of Montivilliers. On the plan of 1754 is expansion of the Church with choir ambulatory and radiating chapels unrealized. In 1800, a. Merchant, engineer of bridges and pavement, finds the very poor condition of the southern nave of Saint-Martin and proposes the deletion by instituting a wall instead of the row of pillars. In 1801, the crossroads of the bottom of the Church under the Bell Tower is transformed into Portal. In 1801, the Pierre Rillet Mason on a quote by a. Marchand destroyed the nave of Saint-Martin but establishes a row of side chapels to 2. 27 m of the pillars. Covers the other naves and roofs are repaired, as well as glazing 3 crossed to the North. In 1818, cure Leborgne began to transform the Northern lateral Chapel gate but should restore. The tip of the Bell Tower was rebuilt in 1818 and then by Prosper Torlost Mason in 1834. An interesting acoustic device with two tables of stone is then destroyed. In 1844, the top of the Spire is yet repaired as well as the belfry on specifications of the architect Brunet-Debaines. In 1859, the Abbot godmother offers a canopy for the 17th century the chapel facing the North nave Bay. In 1862, Drouin, glassmaker in Rouen runs canopies for the chapels of the Holy Sacrament and Notre-Dame-de-Pitié. In 1880, the sacristy was built. A number of stained-glass windows of the Church were blown out in 1915, when the explosion of explosive factory including the godmother canopy which is replaced by the canopy of the Drouin Virgin. In 1943, a bomb exploding near the Church damaged canopies. It dismounts the others who are still in cash. The warping of the media is growing, and in 1944, the Bell Tower is half collapsed in the battles of the Liberation. Restoration work continued until 1964, but the Church is in very poor condition. In 1978, the pulpit to preach from the chapel of the general hospital in le Havre rebounded against the wall is. In 1996, a fragment of the 15th century portal is found under that of 1630
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Crédit photo : Jacques Braquehais (Parish Church St. Martin, harfleur)
Parish Church St. Martin, In 1035, Robert II renders the Church at the Abbey of Montivilliers. An altar, a stone bench and a wall belonging to the Church, are discovered in 1861. In (...) Parish Church St. Martin, French Heritage monument to Harfleur harfleur, seine maritime
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Haute-Normandie - Service chargé de l'inventaire2, rue Maladrerie 76000 Rouen - 02.32.08.18.80
Men involved in this construction
- Brunet-debaines charles louis fortuné (in French) architecte
- Lemarchand a. (in French) ingénieur
- Torlost prosper (in French) maçon
- Lefranq guillaume (in French) maître maçon
- Lebosqué jean (in French) maître maçon
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Description of this building by Jacques Braquehais :
Eglise Saint Martin 16eme siecle
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.