Villa Nordic to Ste Adresse
The Norwegian House 15, rue Charles-Alexandre-Lesueur
Contrary to what could be written or told about the origin of this House "of Nordic inspiration", even sometimes wrongly described as 'Pagoda', this solid wood dwelling comes well Norway and particularly the region of Telemark to West of Oslo. All elements of the structure having been numbered, the House was imported in le Havre early 1900, to be presented at an exhibition on trade of wood.
No doubt seduced by the originality of its architectural elements, Albert Dubosc buys it and makes it back to Sainte-Adresse, on land facing the sea, sold by Georges Dufayel by deed dated June 12, 1908, which States: "Mr Dubosc will be required to build a building or flag any whose construction must be started within two years from this date.» This construction must present an elegant façade, with a studied architectural character, the acquirer shall endeavour to avoid the facade of uniform tone. "IRAP kept by Albert Dubosc, since 1911 the Norwegian House stands next to the sugar loaf, at the top of the resort 'Le Nice' wanted by Georges Dufayel.
To adapt to the ground in steep, wooden house, which has for the moment as a vestibule, a large room with two balconies, a health and a staircase to access the garden, relies on a masonry work not closed, formed mainly by two arches and buttresses. This masonry basement is made of brick and Flint in the pure style cauchoise tradition.
Charles-Alexandre-Lesueur Street, on the northern front, part wood is protected by a wall which the profile form two full brick arches, intersected by rows alternating brick and shingle. A third arc, open and smaller draws gateway arched House, a grid ornate protecting the glass part.
The imported original structure consists of horizontal planks fitted by grooving and crossed to rabbet at the ends. The two balconies wooden columns are curved barrel, separated by openwork railings with hearts. The ridge of the roof two pans is crowned by a linear hoops wooden finished at the ends by chimeras, rappelling from the fabulous bestiary of the medieval "stavekirke" wooden churches standing adorning also bow and stern of the Viking ships. Inside, all the parts on street have a height of 3.75 meters and are dressed in varnished wood, walls as ceilings.
At the level of the garden space under the House is left free. A path with steps in cement imitating the log, joined the street of the low cliffs (now rue Jean-Devilder). Halfway through of this hillside road, Albert Dubosc is also digging an artificial cave for rest and cool, who wants to access directly, through the garden, the lively centre of 'Le Nice' and the sea.
On June 29, 1922 Emile Baudoin redeems the property to Albert Dubosc and done on the House of the important transformations. It adds a West Wing to a large living room in the extension of the original part. The southern corner of the latter, he creates a bow window to have a full view and panoramic over the entrance to the Harbour and the harbour. It landscape in housing remained free space at the level of the garden, which the large room with alcove.
In 1936, Pierre Boilève, then young purser on the ocean liner Normandie, and his wife Simone, notice this surprising House clings to the cliff and that is for rent. Become tenants, they soon manage to buy it at Emile Baudoin on July 18, 1936. They will live soon, war bursting on 1 September 1939. Mobilized, Pierre Boilève is taken prisoner in June 1940 and will spend five years in captivity in many oflags.
That same month of June the family home is requisitioned by the Kriegsmarine, having regard to the strategic position of the site. Left alone with her children, Simone Boilève manages to meet German Naval Commander, who now occupies the premises to try to recover some pieces of furniture and personal belongings. By dint of persuasion she obtains this officer, may be him as father of the family but can also be on behalf of a certain solidarity between (even enemies) sailors "permission to take an armchair, a crib, a few toys, linens and dishes..." ». Subsequently the SS occupy the House and there is no longer question of negotiating with them. The imposing stove Norwegian earthenware and copper of the large room is even disassembled and shipped in Germany...
The summer 1943, under the Todt organisation and the strengthening of the "Atlantic wall" a blockhouse is built to the right of the facade is the House, ideal location with stunning views for artillery controlling port and sky, vegetation that perfectly conceal the work.
Shortly after the allied landings on 6 June 1944, on the beaches of "the other side of the water", the bombing of the Royal Air Force 14 and 15 on Harbour, the Harbour and the surrounding area, are unprecedented damage. No doubt to the blockhouse, a bomb falls at the foot of the House, the blast blowing partly masonry garden, upstairs remaining almost cantilevered wooden on the vacuum.
After the war there will be little Norwegian House is demolished. Thanks to the determination of the owners and the intervention of Mr Terrillon, architect in le Havre, it is finally removed from the interim consolidated list of demolition and then rectified with cylinders, operation made possible because of the flexibility of its structure wood. Used for some time by American soldiers, it is subsequently squatted and undergoes again extensive damage. Pannelling and parquet flooring torn, breeding of rabbits in the lounge, goat in the great room... It takes a bike theft for these occupants, disrespectful of the premises, be convicted and leave...
Totally released home, the work of rehabilitation can start with subsidies by the Ministry of Reconstruction, for war damage. The blockhouse, him, is demolished, except the foundations that become a terrace. After three years of efforts and work, under the direction of Robert Royon, Le architect, the owners finally re-enter their homes. From the bow, gateway and immobile vigie, they can again, after the turmoil, follow the wake of large ships...
Maintained and restored with care, the Norwegian House with bright red of its woodwork and its five chimeras drawn up toward the sky, is still, after so many tests, the homeport of the same family. She is also memory maritime location long ships, ship models and souvenirs from trips to a purser with criss-crossed most of the seas of the globe and of course the sea of Norway.
Source: Roland BOILÈVE, Honorary architect, March 27, 2015
Crédit photo : Contributeur anonyme (House (Villa) Villa Nordic, ste adresse)
House (Villa) Villa Nordic, Contrary to what could be written or told about the origin of this House "of Nordic inspiration", even sometimes wrongly described as 'Pagoda', this solid wood dwelling comes well Norway and particularly the region of Telemark to West of Oslo. All elements of the structure having been numbered, the House was imported in le Havre early 1900, to be presented at an exhibition on trade of wood. ste adresse, seine maritime
The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Haute-Normandie - Service chargé de l'inventaire2, rue Maladrerie 76000 Rouen - 02.32.08.18.80
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Voir cette photo en grand
Maison (Villa) dite Villa Nordique, ste adresse
Contact contributor with his mail for more information.
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.