The oldest part is the watch-Ecu (1390), former part of the medieval walls. After the peace of Cambrai (1529), François Ier built this House a ravelin, itself preceded by a door with an arc triumphant (1531). At the beginning of the 17th century, the Citadel was built by John Ross, on the orders of Henri IV, after the investment of the city by the Spanish in March 1597 and its takeover by the French troops in 1597. The gateway to the South or porte Royale was built in 1620 and served as input to the Citadel until 1859. The former watch-Ecu door lost its towers and was trimmed above his vaults as a basis overhanging, probably started under Louis XIV, completed construction in the 19th century, the home of the Governors. Slightly modified later, the Citadel remains an example of what were the fortifications at the end of the 16th and early 17th century, despite damage, in particular in 1962 the destruction of the two bastions is to move a highway.
Source: Ministry of Culture, France
Citadel, The oldest part is the watch-Ecu (1390), former part of the medieval walls. After the peace of Cambrai (1529), François Ier built this House a ravelin, itself (...) Citadel, French Heritage monument to Amiensamiens, somme
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users. Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.