Church of Notre-Dame, French Heritage monument to Pontoise
Stereotype approximately 1870
In Notre-Dame, we see a construction raised hastily after the disasters of the seat of 1589 and not very clean has to retain the archaeologist. We will examine it however, because no useful work still was devotes to him, and the building preserves some objects or monuments worthy of an attentive study. Let us recall here dedicates it church and the blessing of four furnace bridges on April 16, 1599 by Guillaume de Brancas, bishop of Vence and Fatty. The achievement of this ceremony had to mark the completion of carcass work. The year 1600 is registered with the reverse of the wall of the frontage, in the organ loft.
Notre-Dame is a broad and low nave, flanquee of two sides and terminee by a chorus without character, with round apse. The large doric columns of the nave, carrying arcades has semicircular arch, and bound of the same pilasters order has which receive the warheads and beams of a vault out of wooden; the windows, with their rubble fillings with the round forms, all that clearly shows the last period of the Rebirth. In the same way also the square tower which accompanies the frontage, with the north-western angle. Low, flanquee of buttresses which take on the floor of the belfry the shape of composite pilasters, couronnee of a quadrangular dome out of frame, with skylight, it is heavy, but well caracterisee, and clearly points out the tower of the church of Tanks, it appears impossible that it is not the work of a member of this family the Draper which provides, during nearly one century, of 1530 has 1620, of the project superintendents has many churches of the area.
Long enough before the destruction of the old Notre-Dame church, a member of this family, Pierre the Draper, had directs, in this same church, of work of some importance. Its epitaph still exists, remains fortunately preserves its tombstone, in the middle of the degrees which go down from the large gate in the nave. Although this epitaph was already publiee by Misters Henri the Carpenter and Eugene Leievre-Pontalis, we do not believe useless to give it again here. It is today half erased. Here is the text, such as we raised it carefully in 1885:
These five lines are gravees with the bottom of the stone, which currently measures 0 Mr. 95 of width out of 0 Mr. 46 height, and on which one still sees the lower part of the body of the two late ones, represent upright. Their effigies were encadrees by two columns whose bases are decorate with heads of cherubins. It will be observed that the date of these of the woman is restee in white. Jeanne Fourmont thus survived has her husband.
After the jubilee of 1555, according to the author of Antiquities and singularities of the town of Pontoise, No5el Taillepied, which wrote in 1587, the factory undertook to build or rather to complete vaults around the chorus of Notre-Dame, because of other work had taken place before, and one can about it judge by the style of a fragment, only remaining, with the beautiful Virgin about which we will further speak, of the church destroyed in 1589. These remains are fortunately significant and would for this reason deserve much more attention and of care that one does not grant any to him. It is an almost identical pediment, by its form and its general provisions, that which has surmounts the northern door of the transept of Saint-Maclou. This pediment, with the Notre-Dame church, crowned obviously also a secondary door, and the shelf which finishes it at the upper part does not make it possible to doubt that above it existat a window, as has Saint-Maclou. The very whimsical style of this piece, exclusive of any loan to traditional antiquity, indicates, undoubtedly, a former date has 1555. For my part, I hessite not do not have to place it around 1540. Attribution has Pierre the Draper, who worked has Saint-Maclou in 1552 and that its epitaph, in 1570, describes as Master-mason of the Notre-Dame church, is-infinitely probable. One will seize how much the perfect analogy fragment in question with the northern gate of Saint-Maclou strengthens the assumption of Mr. allotting Palustre has Pierre the Draper all dimensions it septentrional this building, and the appreciable role which can play this new part of the problem in the history of the artistic origins of Saint-Eustace of Paris.
Profile of the town of Pontoise by Woodland Israel 1650
In spite of the advanced date of Notre-Dame of Pontoise, it is good to notice that the vaults, as well the stone vaults of the sides as the vaults out of wooden of the nave, still rest on intersecting ribs, as at the Gothic period. As for the chorus, if poor to aspect, he testifies, like many others, of the parsimony of the large decimateurs, in the species, of the Benedictines of Saint Martin's day of Pontoise.
An invaluable memory of the old church is the large statue of the Virgin (2 bills of quantities top), who forever cease D being lobjet D a pilgrimage and already maternal and human character, in spite of to some extent hieratic proportions; but one did not emphasize enough what it was really, the statue-pier of the one of the gates of the church destroyed in 1589, from the gate open at the end of the northern arm of the transept, as teaches it to us Taillepied. The proportions allongees, if suitable for a similar site, the dragon overcome under the feet of Marie, constitute, in this respect, of the evidence without counterpart.
It is not necessary to identify the statue in question with an image of Yierge whose charter of 1231 makes known to us the existence. This image was close to a trunk, and the faithful ones made there burn candles and candles. It was thus placee inside the church. Mr. Coquelle, who east decides, not without embarrassment, for the identification of the two statues, did not recognize the primitive destination of that which one venerates today. The date 1231 or, has stronger reason, a former date, our scientist fellow-member felt it well, could not be appropriate for the current statue, which belongs to the art of the medium or second half of Xme century.
The vault in which this statue is conservee occupies the south-western angle of the church and has an direct access by the stone porch of XVme century, has three arcades, which precedes the frontage. This vault, built at the XIXe century, is very small and of the worst style. It contains a touching inscription, testimony of protection accordee by Marie at the town of Pontoise.
- Titrate: Archaeological excursions in French Vexin
- Author: Regnier, Louis
- Editor: E. Dumont (Paris)
- Go back to edition: 1922
(Church of Notre-Dame, pontoise)
Church of Notre-Dame, « Church of Notre-Dame » is a construction of the city of Pontoise (France, Val d'oise). Church of Notre-Dame, French Heritage monument to Pontoise pontoise, val d'oise
Contributions documentaries made by visitors
Eglise Notre-Dame, pontoise
Lumière du matin says of the history of this building :
A une première chapelle érigée en 1177 par les religieux de Saint-Martin à l'intention des fabricants de draps du quartier de la Foulerie, succéda une église bâtie aux XIIIè et XIVè siècles, et fortifiée en raison de sa situation hors de l'enceinte de Pontoise. Elle couvrait pratiquement toute la place, l'architecte pontoisien Pierre Lemercier, dont la pierre tombale, dans l'église, sert aujourd'hui de marche, ayant ajouté vers 1540 - 1550 une couronne de chapelles tout autour du choeur. En 1589, lors du siège de la ville par Henri IV, cette église fut complètement détruite. Rapidement reconstruite, dans des proportions plus modestes, elle fut consacré en 1599.
La statue de la Vierge (seconde moitié du XIIIè siècle), attirait de très nombreux pèlerins parmi lesquels les rois de France. Cette pratique religieuse se perpétue chaque année, en septembre. L'église renferme aussi, depuis 1845, le tombeau de Saint-Gauthier, premier abbé de Saint-Martin, mort en 1099.
source: Ville de Pontoise
source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.
Participate in the increase of the database
The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.