Castle of Purnon, French Heritage monument to Verrue

Structure of the Castle and the common to Philibert de l'Orme. The Castle of Purnon and its common are built from 1771 to 1785, likely on the site of a primitive Castle. A long avenue built in 1812, terraces and common order give this Castle a great Majesty. A building of the 17th century's high quality is located in the hamlet of mill-Tony. The vegetable garden, which precedes this buildings, welcomes a quite exceptional wind. The latter, built in 1900 by e. Lebert, who took the succession of institutions a. Bollée in le Mans in 1898, was intended to supply water to the vegetable garden and the Castle. It is worn by a cast iron column around which wraps a staircase which gives access to a gallery that overcomes the wind turbine with distributor. Everything is about 15 m tall. The turbine operates three piston pump body placed in a circular shrine at the foot of the work. Pumps suck and repress the water then stored in a reservoir with a capacity of 9000 litres placed at the top of a masonry Tower. The rarity of such a set, added to undeniable aesthetic characters, has led to its protection.

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

Castle of Purnon
Crédit photo : (Castle of Purnon, verrue)

Heritage listed, historical monument, or having been under investigation

Structural information

Castle of Purnon, Structure of the Castle and the common to Philibert de l'Orme. The Château de Purnon and its common are built from 1771 to 1785, presumably, l? location? a (...) Castle of Purnon, French Heritage monument to Verrue verrue, vienne

Location and general information

  • identifier : 142031
  • item : Château de Purnon
  • Location of the building :
    • Poitou-Charentes
    • Verrue
  • Place name : Moulin-Bijard
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 86286
  • Zip code of the municipality : 86420
  • Order in the communal list : 1
  • Name of the building :
    • The building is designated as follows : castle
  • State :
    • current state of the monument : abandoned

Dates and times

  • Period of construction : 6 different epochs of evolution of the building.
    • 18th century
    • Second half 18th century
    • 19th century
    • 4th quarter 19th century
    • 20th century
    • 1st quarter 20th century
  • Years :
    • 1771
    • 1898
  • Dates of protection :
    • 1992/12/11 : inscrit MH
    • 1995/05/10 : classé MH
  • Date taken into account : 1993/10/27

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials:
    • We do not have this information.
  • Roofing :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Materials (roofing) :
    • We do not have this information.
  • Other about the composition roofs :
    • No information on the coverage of the place.
  • Floors :
    • any information about this construction.
  • Stairs :
    • No stairs mentioned on this construction.
  • Decoration of the building :
    • No information about decoration.
  • Representation :
    • No information on the ornamentation of the place.
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • We do not know the type of plan for this building.

Monument and history of the place

  • Interest of the building : Inscription 18 05 1971 (arrêté) annulée.
  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :18 parts of the building are subject to protection and are listed as follows :
    • portal
    • closing
    • grid
    • interior
    • garden
    • common
    • court
    • terrace
    • mill
    • moat
    • enclosure
    • garden
    • port
    • tank
    • wind
    • GARDEN
    • stave
    • garden terrace
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.


  • Other :
    • other Information : private property 1992
  • Detail :
    • Portail de la cour d' honneur au nord du château
    • moulin Bijard et son enclos
    • parcelles du potager et leur enclos
    • éolienne et son réservoir (cad. ZP 115 à 117, 127) : inscription par arrêté du 11 décembre 1992 . Château proprement dit et les deux bâtiments à usage de communs
    • douves
    • terrasses
    • grille d'entrée au nord du château (cad. ZP 127) : classement par arrêté du 10 mai 1995
  • Mérimée reference : PA00105768

Men involved in this construction

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de cookie86 est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.