Church parish Saint-Martin, French Heritage monument to Aillant sur tholon

The building, which the choir is in the West, is located in the centre of the village, on a median limited left and back by a retaining wall. It has a nave with three aisles of three bays, a non-salient transept to a span of plan, a chorus right span flanked by two chapels and a polygonal apse. The vessel, covered with vaults of warheads, is informed by circular clerestory Windows and a rose that occupies the entire width of the front Gable. The aisles vaulted edges communicate with the ship by major broken arches brought by powerful monolithic columns with carved marquee
* the attic of the side aisles, which mask the foothills of the central vessel, are open on this one by berries combined with lintel on pads, listed each in an arcade full-arch. The transept receives the day, on the left, above the two doors of the sacristy, by four arched Windows, right, the arcade from the rostrum of the Bell Tower
* the latter is served by a staircase ramp rack in oak, which followed a half-off-work staircase stone providing access to the peak. The right Bay of the choir release, as the arms of the transept, with two side chapels covered with groined vaults. Arched Windows divided on two levels illuminate the three sided, lower apse, occupied by the Liturgical Choir. Backed by the right arm of the transept, tower-porch stands on three levels
* the covered porch of a coupolette is opened on the place of the market by a wide arcade broken
* at the median level, a large two lancets topped of an oculus window illuminates the Forum
* at the top level, with high twin bays are drilled on all four sides. The slate covered polygonal arrow is between towers of stone overhang reminiscent of watchtowers. On May 8, 1858, the municipal Council vote the construction of a new Church, the former being obsolete and too cramped. The plans and specifications of Viollet-le-Duc, dated March 25, 1862, are approved by the municipality on 24 April and the prefect on July 22, 1863. Work are awarded on September 12, 1863, Pierre Charles Sauvage, entrepreneur in Paris, for the sum of 185 411 francs, architect of meaning Lefort being responsible for their management. The work of sculpture are entrusted to Henri Marquet, sculptor in sense and Henri Geschvind. The old church was demolished in 1864, the first stone of the new is laid in the spring of 1865. Final acceptance takes place on 20 June 1867 and the building was dedicated on 2 October of the same year. The cover and the frame of the Tower, struck by lightning, are repaired in November 1897
* in March 1964, a storm again damaged the Church.

Source: Ministry of Culture, France

Church parish Saint-Martin
Crédit photo : (Church parish Saint-Martin, aillant sur tholon)


Reported to be remarkable heritage of quality.

Structural information

Church parish Saint-Martin, The building, which the choir is in the West, is located in the centre of the village, on a median limited left and back by a retaining wall. It has a nave (...) Church parish Saint-Martin, French Heritage monument to Aillant sur tholon aillant sur tholon, yonne

Location and general information

  • identifier : 144398
  • item : église paroissiale Saint-Martin
  • Location of the building :
    • Bourgogne
    • Yonne
    • Aillant-sur-Tholon
  • Address : Grande rue Saint-Antoine
  • INSEE code of the municipality : 89003
  • Zip code of the municipality : 89110
  • Order in the communal list : 5
  • Name of the building : The building is designated by the following 2 names :
    • church
    • parish church
  • State :
    • the current state of the monument is not known.

Dates and times

  • Period of construction :
    • We have no information on the time of construction of this monument.
  • Year : 1865
  • Investigation : 1979
  • Date of protection : 1982/10/05 : inscrit MH
  • Date taken into account : 2006/09/01

Construction, architecture and style

  • Materials: 4 elements are used in the main structure of the building.
    • limestone
    • rubble
    • ashlar
    • stone
  • Roofing : Coverage of this building is varied there are 9 different types :
    • roof with long tails
    • polygonal spire
    • rump
    • polygonal hipped
    • gable roof
    • shed
    • pinion discovered
    • pinion
    • roof
  • Materials (roofing) : 2 elements in the composition of the hedge, among them we noted
    • slate
    • flat tile
  • Other about the composition roofs : 3 modes of coverage are listed
    • ribbed vault
    • vault
    • cupola
  • Floors :
    • floor type : 3 vessels
  • Stairs : 8 types of stairs have been cataloged in this monument, stairs are of type :
    • spiral staircase
    • masonry
    • staircase half-off-work
    • in frame
    • stairs in work-
    • staircase
    • staircase to return
    • spiral staircase in masonry
  • Decoration of the building : 2 forms of decoration are present
    • stained glass
    • sculpture
  • Representation :
    • the only ornament listed is 'ornamental plant'
  • Typology :
    • No information about typology.
  • Plan :
    • Plan Type 'Latin cross plan'

Monument and history of the place

  • Elements protected MH (historical monument) :
    • Any particular element of the building is subject to protection in our database.
  • Constituent areas :
    • no information.
  • Parties constituantes étudiées :
    • no information.
  • Use :
    • We do not know the different uses that have been made of this construction.

Other

  • Other :
    • other Information : the capitals are carved with stylised plant motifs. property of the municipality
  • Authors of the survey MH :
    • Lauvergeon Bernard
    • Hugonnet-Berger Claudine
    • Réveillon Elisabeth
  • Mérimée reference : IA89000351

The complete official record is available at Conseil régional de Bourgogne - Service chargé de l'inventaireHôtel Chartraire de Montigny - 39/41, rue Vannerie 21000 Dijon - 03.80.72.53.33

Men involved in this construction

Contributions documentaries made by visitors

Photo de Girelion est l'image principale de cette notice.

Voir cette photo en grand

Description of this building by Girelion :

Eglise St Martin d'Aillant sur Tholon 89110 entièrement reconstruite dans le style neogothique par Violet le Duc vers 1858.

Contact contributor with his mail for more information.

Church parish Saint-Martin, French Heritage monument to Aillant sur tholon. Picture of Girelion
église paroissiale Saint-Martin, aillant sur tholon
Description of this building by Girelion :

Tour du clocher de  l'église Saint Martin d'aillant sur Tholon 89110

Church parish Saint-Martin, French Heritage monument to Aillant sur tholon. Picture of Girelion
église paroissiale Saint-Martin, aillant sur tholon
Description of this building by Girelion :
Eglise Saint Martin d'Aillant sur Tholon, axe de la nef orienté Est- Ouest. Grand portail d'entrée sur la façade nord.

source of information: database Mérimée and contributions of Internet users.
Images shared by the contributors of the site are provided only that they are the owners of the photo. In case of violation of copyright, thank you for contacting us.

Participate in the increase of the database

You have "old photos" of the monument or recent, you know this monument and want to share your photos, knowledge, stories about him, click here.

The objective of the website is to preserve the collective memory heritage user intervention are offered to the community.